_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Individual Tracks, How?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Before I start my Tamiya Tiger here (after my 88 is done),I need to know some tips on how to make thos indy trakc turn out great.

If you have any helpful hints, tech. or ideas, let me know! This is my 1st time with these kind of tracks!

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:56 PM UTC
I like to paint them the base color while still on the sprue. Be careful some kits will have ejector pin marks that you will need to fill before painting. Cut them out and touch up the sprue marks with a brush. Then lay them out and glue them. Let them sit for 30-40 minutes and carefully put them in place. Put something in between the fenders and the road wheels to put the sag in them. Then I usually wash them and dry brush whatever type of wear or wheather effects. Lastly I will rub some graphite from a pencil lead with my finger on the tracks. Then add mud or dirt.
I am pretty new to the hobby, so I am sure you will get some better advice. But good luck and happy modelling.
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
hi how to stop the tracks from sideways bends when glueing , firstly check to to see if there is a centre horn or one each side , if it is centre horn then lay down two pices of scrap wod with the right distance between for the horn to sit in, but up the next link and glue, then repeat for about 6- 8 links leave to dry overnight , keep repeating till you have enough for the bottom run , then repeat for the other side , after that is just a question of repeating and checking the number for the top run , minus the ones that go round the drive and rear boggies, it they have outer horns then you need a piece of wood that sits inside and is straight , repeat the above instructions and you will have nice straight tracks and no sideways bends , cheers ian
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:51 PM UTC
Chip,
follow this link there are a few articles on the features menu about making them
making indi link tracks :-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
I am assuming when you say indi track links you mean the plastic or resin ones that are not workable. My first recommendation is get the working type from a good AM company like Fruil. IF this is out for any reason and you have to go with the non working in kit variety heres my two shekels worth. First off is clean up, make absolutly sure that you've gotten all attachment points and molsing seems. Both usually land up just at the point where links need to be attached. Next as mentioned get any ejection marks either filled or sanded off. IF the parts have snug fit align 5-10 links and apply the apptopriate glue using a straight edge on either the guide horn (if its centrally mounted) or the edge of the tracks . DO all this in sections teh larger the section, the more likely the chance for misalignment. hope this helps.

JOshua Weingarten
IDF armour group
www.homestead.com/shiryon/index.html
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys! This is a big help!

~Chip :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
If these are the same tracks that came with the Sturmtiger, they are a piece of cake to assemble. I got excellent strainght runs with out needing a jig. The other guys have given you good advice about clean up, painting, etc.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
The Tamiya Tiger that has the indi links in the kit actually comes with a jig for building the track and there are more tips in the instruction manual.

Rob
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
Howdy chip,

Here's a VERY helpful hint......find and buy Fruil's.

Tread out.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC
i recently built tamiyas mid production tiger, one peice of advice chip,
the tracks will tighten up when the glue sets, use about four more links than the instructions advise to get a nice amount of sag, you can add more if you want but between four and six extra links should be fine,
cheers
joe
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
And here's another method:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/127

I like doing them in one long run as opposed to Bob's method.

Try them out, at least you can easily replace the Tiger tracks with Academy or more expensive links!

Cheers
Andy
 _GOTOTOP