Egyptian MUTT (M151)
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
Dear All,

Inspired by the recent Libyan MUTT thread I decided to revisit my Tamiya M151 build, that I had halted several months back due to lack of photo references, in the hope the someone here can help me!

During the uprising in Egypt earlier on this year I noticed that amongst the many types of vehicle the army deployed were two M151A2 jeeps.

Although Egypt had long operated these vehicles, there seems to be a distinct lack of photos of this type in Egyptian service, whilst their possible replacement the licensed version of the Jeep Wrangler (Jeep TJL) has been widely captured by the cameras.

Two Egyptian army M151A2 (one with bonnet/hood up) deployed near the pyramids along with M113s:

The only other image of an Egyptian Army M151 was of one driving off a USAF C141 during a joint exercise (Op Iron Cobra) in 1999.

If any one has any further information or photographs of Egyptian army M151s I would be very grateful

Regards,

Mandrake
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:33 AM UTC
All I can tell you is that during the uprising and later when things started to calm down a bit.. I got around quite a bit here in Cairo and also in Alexandria and Suez.. and I got to see Humvees and a lot of other vehicles - old and new - I even saw an M1070 HET carrying an M1A1 in Alexandria.. but I never saw one single Mutt !! I know they still have some, but they just don'e bring them outside their barracks much.. even after the uprising. OF course, before this recent uprising the armed forces were all stationed way out in the desert where you couldn't see any vehicles or anything.. Actually, they kept everything so far and out of sight that a person living here would think that Egypt didn't have an army !!

Here's a really weird looking Cadillac Gage commando car. I never knew what it was until I saw this pic of it on the net.

Anyway, sorry I got off topic... But I also would be interested in pics of Egyptian Mutts.

Hisham
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
Interesting to think that it is over 30 years since the Jeep TJL started production in Egyptian and almost as long since the last M151 rolled off the production line and at least two examples of the latter are still in egyptian service...albeit one might have some engine issues!

Also i noticed what appears to be a dark painted square on the side of the M151 which I infer to be the blue square insignia seen on the accompanying M113.

Does anyone know exactly what these insignia/combinations of insignia represent, i.e. the specific Division, Brigade,Company ?

_GOTOTOP