_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Auschwitz Gate - Doubt?
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
What is it that motivates so strong a response when it comes to Auschwitz?

Far more people died outside its gates than in during WW2, 16 million Soviet Civilians died at the hands of the Nazis, 30 million Chinese died at the hands of the Japanese so it isn't the numbers.

For me I think it is the cold industrialisation of the murder of 1million that makes Auschwitz such an icon for the evil that men do.

Is modelling an Art ? I think it is. Whether we seek to accurately model things that actually happened or whether we take a more generalised approach and look more at the "feel" of the time rather than the detail, we all seek to generate an emotion with those who see our work, even if that response is only "Wow cool paint job!"

Whether you model accurately model the Soviet Soldiers marvelling at the superiority of German plumbing or the heartbreaking loss of innocence represented by a child looking through the wire there will be an emotive response to your work.

The true art is to make that response the one you want it to be.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC
So long as your story portrays what you as the artist is trying to say, and does so tactfully, go for it. I am doing a dio of the round up of the Jews in Warsaw to be shipped out to camps. Why some have asked. Simple to answer. It is said that those who forget, are doomed to repeat. It is a fact of humanity that these horrors happened and to forget or deny would be a crime as far as I am concerned. So artist write, paint, sculpt and model for the public to remember or because of some deep conviction within themselves. There was a dio titled, My god, why have thou forsaken me. I'm sure you could dig it up here on armorama, very moving piece of modeling which I admit brought me to the conclusion to do a series of dio's on the Holocaust portraying it through out the second W.W. I am still working on it as an on going project as my figure painting must still improve but the foundations are laid for the set. So far, I like your work, just make sure your work says what you intend it to say and you'll be fine. Personally I don't care what people think of my work. If the message is clear, I am happy with it.Those that don't like it, go look at something else I say. As you should look at it this way, It's my art and says what I want it to say. If you piss off some people, oh well! There will always be someone who has something negative to say, but if most who look at it understand that you are showing a horrible thing that happened to people in history, then you have done justice in your work. As a Jew by birth who's family lost members to the Nazi's, I say again, go for it. Just be tactful and be sure it displays your story correctly.
rodrigo_sartori
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Actually this diorama will not portray any kind of horror. Inside the gate, is according to one's imagination. It's a different topic like any other diorama shows situations of war.

I need to do a little more research on the time it was released this field, weather, troops and a few more things.

But as I said, this picture there are a diorama that is stopped for 4 years and, before returning to it I must finish my diorama "a break to rest."

I'm starting my research , but if anyone has anything to contribute, I thank you.

I need to find, Russian figures, Russian mounted patrol, tanks or any other type of armor that may have participated in this offensive against the Germans. If you can indicate ....

I am excited to continue this work.

hugs
Rodrigo
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
I think military figures of any kind will likely stir up some fuss, however I really like what you have done so far..

If you perhaps showed a young emaciated figure painted using the shades of grey method walking out of the gates, and then had a colour painted figure of an old person looking in in modern clothing/suit I think this could be a very thought provoking piece of work.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
Rodrigo, there's a story you might be interested in about the gate. The inscription "Arbeit macht frei" was made in the camp workshop by the prisoners themselves. See carefully the historical pictures and take a closer look at the word "ARBEIT". You'll notice that the letter B is placed upside down, with the bigger "loop" up instead of down. This is regarded as an act of "sabbotage" by prisoners, the Germans didn't noticed that throughout the war.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:28 AM UTC
For mounted figures, you'll probably have to kit bash them. I believe it was winter time when the camp was discovered by advance horse mounted troops/scouts. I think that the riders from the horse drawn artillery set from M.B. would be useful but the riders are in summer uniform. Also the Tamiya German cossacks or Zvezda's cossack set could be the foundation for kit bashing some mounted troops. Or even the motorcycle rider from Zvezdas new set. For standing troopers in winter grab, Tamiya has a set of tank riders in winter gear that might work for you as standing troopers or use to kit bash mounted ones.
petrus-13
Visit this Community
Switzerland
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Rodrigo

it's a somewhat controversial project you are working on - and I want to encourage you to proceed.

Some things before - I was born, grow up and lived most my live in Germany before I emigrated and I have a quite critical view onto German history...

Modeling is not only to show heroic moments of history - it should also deal with the dark sides of history - showing that means also to remember and avoid for the future.

I had some similar ideas - but they are still ideas, as my time for modeling during the last months was very limited and after quite a long time of abstinence I will have to find in again.

So I will observe the progress of your diorama - btw. the cynical motto was also used in other concentration camps.

Greets
Peter
rodrigo_sartori
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
hi guys.
Well, returning to the topic, I'm starting to buy some figures to make up a scene.
Some things are still going to take to get here yet.

If you have any suggestions, please share.

Regards to all

This kit will use the wagon with the horses and make adjustments with the Russian infantry

_GOTOTOP