Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagdpanzer IV L-70 (early)
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hello to all. been a very long time since I have posted anything tiny... but I do lurk. The high standards here are well maintained, rest assured.

A 1 week build, 95% done in a couple of days and the last 5% was like the last few minutes of an NFL or NBA game. Seemed to go on forever.

But it got done in the end. So here is the Dragon Jagdpanzer IV L-70, early production in 1/72 scale. The cleaning rods 3 gigundo sprue gates in it. Really Dragon? For something that small? No way that coming off the tree in 1 piece so I replaced the rods.

Thanks for looking.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:39 PM UTC
Marc,

VERY nice! The painting and weathering are top notch, and the rusted muffler is awesome. Your Jagdpanzer looks much larger than Braille Scale.

I have this kit in my stash, and it looked really good in the box. Do you have any pictures prior to paint?

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC
the weathering for such a small model is outstanding
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hi Marc

looking at your pictures, I think you should do less lurking and more modelling

beautiful work, and done in an amazingly short time.

I like how the colours are not too strong, and the subtley applied streaks

I have to agree that I find the last 5% of a build takes the longest. I have a few 95% completed models that have been that way for a year.

Like you I sometimes do parts of builds in front of the TV so I can listen and watch a bit, for a bit of distraction, helps to have something to break your focus now and then.

If you find time for more builds, hope you post some pics here

cheers
Neil
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2011 - 02:11 PM UTC
Jeff, Anthony, Neil... Thanks so much guys.

Neil, I know all about the TV distraction. Speaking of which... Finge is on I took an armor break to do some WWI bipes. Think I'll bounce back and forth so I don't get burned out on 1 subject. I was close to packing it in for a while there.

Jeff, not much in the way of WIP pics. It was gonna be OOB but the rear armor was really thick so I cut some new pieces.

The painting was red brown (no pic), Blu-tack, green, blu-tack, yellow. The last segment is the 1st of several stages of fading.

Lorddarthvik
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
That is a truly inspireing build, and also answers my unasked question of which Jagdpz IV model to get for my line of tank destroyers! And as the others said, keep posting your builds!
Would you be so kind to describe how you did the fading process, or that is your secret?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
Marc, it's been a while but welcome back to the wheelie (sic) side of things. The Jagdpanzer IV looks beautiful and up to your regular standards. The new side armour on the back looks great and now I'm sorry that I didn't do the same with my Italeri Jagdpanzer IV L48. Unfortunately, it was entered in an OOTB contest so that was a no-starter.

I really appreciate your comment about the sprue gates on some of Dragon's smaller 1/72 parts. At times I swear that there is more plastic in the attachment points than the part. Hope to see more of your work and/or tips in the future.

Cheers,
Jan
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 01:54 PM UTC
Viktor... thanks for the comments. Hardly my secret. After the color and a coat of a buff filter... thinner to paint 95/05... I do a series of dot filters. Small dots of white, ocher, blue artist oils, over acrylic base colors, and very very tiny ones of yellow on not too many of them, since it is a very strong color. These dots are drawn done with some white spirits. There are tutorials out there. The AK Interactive DVD by Mig Jimenez, "Washes, Fading and Oils" describes it perfectly. the dot filter and the fading from the video are in fact the same process just different names.

Jan, thanks so much. I took a break and was really getting into the WWI planes but now that I have done some more armor... I think I am back. As far as the sprue gates are concerned... if they aren't huge, they are really poorly placed. In most cases it would have been very easy to put them in a more logical place.
Lorddarthvik
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the answer, I´ll look into some tutorials then

Cheers
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
Really good piece of work Marc. You've achieved a really deep level of detail with the painting.
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the comment Pat

Viktor... message inbound.
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 09:35 AM UTC
Fantastic paint and weathering. Thanks for the step by step.

Regards. Pedro.
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Marc. Great looking build, the weathering is superb and the track sag looks great.
I don't do a lot of German armour but this one is on the 'to do' list.
What have you used for the nice looking base? Is it a picture frame? Did you make the pavement surface?
Cheers,
Tim
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:33 PM UTC
Pedro, Tim... my apologies for taking way too long to respond to your nice comments... for which I thank you both.

Tim. The cobbled base is a little resin piece I picked up at Amps East last year. All I did was miter some 1/4" basswood around the outside an wipe a little stain on the frame.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 11:12 AM UTC
@wing_nut – Marc,

Good to see you posting again! You did an awesome job on the camouflage scheme and weathering. Clean build too! Sorry for responding late to your post but better than never!

I understand about building those wingy things, they can be great fun too (hush your mouth ). Could you post a pic or two of your latest WWI planes?

And don’t throw in the towel just yet!

Happy Modeling,
~ Eddy
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 12:34 PM UTC
Thanks Eddy... good to be back.

Here are the linsk to the WWI birds I did for the Knights of the Sky GB on Aeorscale.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/179115#1504333

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/174180#1462628
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 07:01 PM UTC
@wing_nut - Marc,

Thanks for the links. I had a quick peak this evening and will read through both build logs this weekend. Fantastic builds - the motors are killer. The realistic wood grain you replicated with artist pencil really set them off. Long time since I built a model airplane, sure looks like great fun. Oh, I followed one of the links you posted to an online hobby shop and noticed a super detailed B-2 bomber - YES!!!

Well, I'd better stop talking about those wingy things

My hats off to you for having the courage to go out in public at a hardware store and photograph plywood sheets for reference on creating the wood grain for your builds, to cool!

~ Eddy
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 05:19 AM UTC
Fantastic work. The models looks like 1/35. Congratulations.

P.A.
 _GOTOTOP