1/72 German Tank Destroyers line (WoT)
Lorddarthvik
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi there!

I´ve decided to build all the German WW2 tank destroyers featured in the PC game World of Tanks. I´m a fan of smaller models so I went with the 1/72 scale. So far only one of them is complete, I still haven´t added decals to the painted ones yet. All models will be some sort of fictional german panzer grey coloured as I really like it, and also this way I won´t mess up the models even more with bad camo patterns All markings, numbers and such will be purely fictional as well.

Please keep in mind when looking at the pictures that I´m far from the pros you are, and I just got into the idea of building models properly, with airbrushing, washes and so on. Hopefully I will improve on myself, the methods, and the gear I use as I create more and more of these otherwise fine models

I will update here with new pictures as I go along. Thanks for looking, and all comments and crits are welcome

Here´s the list:

1. anzerJager I. :
--Italery model , painted and mostly weathered although it could use a repaint, OOB build, needs scratchbuilt back rails and some additional gadgets maybe and decals/markings

2.: Marder II
--Modell bought, 1/72 ACE Marder II with PE Tracks. This one looks pretty nasty to build so I´m keeping this one as last probably.

3.: Hetzer
-- Italery model, built and painted some time ago, well before I discovered this site even. No fancy stuff like washes or pigments, only the way too dark Revell Panzer Gray enamel sprayed on and wathering overdone with rust, black and silver.

4.: StuG III
-- The only model I do not have yet, although I have a StuG IV as substitute
I´ll be looking for a mid-production model probably, any tips on brand/make to buy?

5.: JagdPanzer IV
-- Italery modell aquired, and now ruined as I experimented with putting on zimmerit. I´ll have to get a new one with the L70 gun.

6.: JagdPanther
-- Italery modell, built OOB and painted with brush. I`m very proud of this one as this is my first model that I used the "wash" technique on. I applied a mix of thinned black and dark green enamel, although it ended up almost black. The tow cable is missing as I´m trying to scratchbuild on. Decals are missing also, will add them later.

7.: Ferdinand/Elefant
-- Italery model, built with a metal barell from some maker I can´t recall, although it wasnt really neccesary as the one in the kit is pretty much okay. Painted as Jagdpanther above Except that I finally got a my airbush working again and applied the red-brown dust on the sides with it. Still needs decals, and maybe some extras like tow cables, I`ll think about it.

8.: JagdTiger
-- My first Dragon model, Porsche version without zimmerit, with PE grills on the back, 90% complete build, still needs some small parts applied. This will be the next one finished I think.

EDIT: added that I used an airbrush on the ferdi. Silly me, forgot it as the cheap tire infalteor I used as compressor gave in again after 5 minutes.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
Viktor - Welcome to Armorama and the Braille Scale Forum. It's always a pleasure to see someone new join the ranks. You have started quite an ambitious, interesting and unique project, best of luck to you.

The models that you have shown look cleanly assembled and thanks for sharing you're progress pictures. I can understand that the builder has the right to finish his models any way he pleases but for the later war ones you might consider a more appropriate sand colour. Many, including the Jagdtiger could be seen in just a plain sand colouring.

Again, welcome and I hope to see more of your work as you progress.

Cheers,
Jan
Lorddarthvik
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words!
Although I have to admit that I have a very hard time with tracks, as you can see on the jagdpanther´s its far from perfect.

While I do know that from early ´43 German tanks got a sand brown base colour, I wish to finish all these models in plain grey. Usually I try to go with realistic colour schemes, and I do my research on the subject, but with this project I will deviate from that way by painting every tank grey, and I can only hope I won´t offend anyone by doing so!

Also, have no worries, as I really love WW2 tanks I will most probably build one or two more of these same models, and will paint them with their proper colours to the best of my abilities, I promise
 _GOTOTOP