_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SHERMAN MkIII DV, North Africa
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Gentlemen

I would like to show my very first Sherman build.

My model build is a Sherman MkIII DV, Census Nummer „T74371“, in the near of the “Marble Arch” (Arco dei Fileni), 26.12.1942, as shown in this photo

Source: IWM photos

Following the advices here, I have chosen the Tasca-Kit, British Army Sherman III Direct Vision Type w/early VVSS Suspension, Kit No. 35017 , because it has the correct Radio Pot („D-shaped version“), and even the „ early cast nose“.
Biggest modification was the choose and fit of the M4 VVSS suspension boogies from AFV-Club, including some improvements and modifications to reproduce as close as possible the VVSS boogie assembly Type D47527 with the initial return roller bracket Type C95129 and the „symmetrical bump skid“ as shown on the pictures of “T74371”.
In the meantime I have discovered that the Sherman M4A1, DRAGON Kit 6048 would have the only correct return roller bracket Type C95129, but it was too late to use (and especially to get the kit) for my model.

With the help of this forum and after a very long study of 2 specific detail photos in „Images of War, Sherman Tank“ from Gavin Birch showing this Sherman, I mean to identify it as a tank of the 2nd troop, B-Squadron (square tactical sign) of the 9th Queen´s Royal Lancers (Squadron colour yellow). 2nd AB.
In fact the pictures on page 51 and 54 shows a very low contrasting Square(colour) with an “II” inside on the right turret side bright basic colour.
Comparing the basic tank colour and the disruptive camouflage in contrast with some (clear to identify) colours (like black for tankers berets, khaki tone for the supporting infantry soldiers uniforms, black-grey for the wheel rubber etc.) I follow Dennis Oliver and Mike Starmer analysis in their book “The New Breed” for this tank, as painted in “Light Stone BS61” with an “Dark Olive Green” disruptive camouflage colour.
Taking now the very low contrast of the squadron sign in comparation with the Light Stone, my suggestion is “Yellow” for the Squadron sign, which would indicate the “9th Queen´s Royal Lancers” of the 2nd Armoured Division, which has been in fact in this area at this time.

But anyway, I can be totally wrong….

I have even tried (according may actual modelling skillness) to improve the Tasca Kit with some missing weld seams and some small details, for a more accurate look.

So I hope you enjoy…

Not correct are the rear sand shield parts, which should be the “rounded style” and not the one included in the TASCA kit.

The paint has been made with Tamiya acrylics, based on the paint mixes from Mike Starmer.

The desert dust was made with MIG-pigments.

Thanks,

Erich
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi Erich,

Excellent work, nice build and paint job. Only observation would be to move the stowage on the RHS so that it sits below the rack, rather than on it. You can secure it with a couple of straps.

I used the same bit of stowage on the M3 Grant

I also used another piece on my M4A1 Mk II Early

Very nice, work you have a fine looking Sherman there and one to be proud of.

Al
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your kind comments and even for the advice of the position of the right side stowage. I will try to correct this.

And after reading my thread again, I have to correct it:
The “9th Queen´s Royal Lancers” were part of the 2nd Armoured Brigade within the 1st Armoured Division (and not the 2nd AD, as I wrote).

Thanks
Erich
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
A beautiful kit. The camo and weathering is quite convincing. It looks as though you capped off the barrel??? IMHO, you should add a few spots of bare metal to the tools. This will give them the look of having been used/scratched/sandblasted by the desert winds. But, that's just my 2cents.
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

The plug is a dust protection for the barrel and some other pictures (of different Shermans) shows them to be from wood, but even a canvas protection was used. In fact my model-copy shows clearly this plug in the barrel.

Thanks for your tips about the tools.
But on one photo of my model-copy you can see this tools very clearly, which are complete (wooden and metals parts) in the same colour, which is darker than the "Olive green" disruptive camouflage colour. So I think they are still in their OD paint, and are without any paint damages, or the exisiting ones are covered by dust.

Erich
 _GOTOTOP