_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya And Italeri Jeeps
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hi Gang,I`m about to start My Tamiya SAS Jeeps but i was also thinking About doing my Italeri "Commando Car" at the same time.
My question to all you knowledge-able guys and gals out there is could the two be used together ?.
I ask because the two kits equipment fit is vastly different so i was wondering what time period is each from ?.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 07:56 PM UTC
Both are (very) old and inaccurate kits. The Tamiya represents a LRDG vehicle in the desert, the Italeri one an S.A.S. vehicle in NW Europe 1944-45.

Best current option is using the (more) recent Tamiya Willys along with the Legends Conversion set:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/6852

Depends on how accurate you want it, but don't be tempted to consider this;

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/9713

Frankly, it's a mess.

No, the two models couldn't be used together, there is a considerable period of time between the two.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Both are (very) old and inaccurate kits. The Tamiya represents a LRDG vehicle in the desert, the Italeri one an S.A.S. vehicle in NW Europe 1944-45.

The Tamiya represents an SAS jeep in the desert not the LRDG.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Tamiya represents an SAS jeep in the desert not the LRDG.

Sorry, yes, they are BOTH S.A.S. Jeeps albeit different periods.

On reflection, the Italeri Jeep is probably marginally better than the Tamiya (S.A.S.) one. Best Jeep of all is Tamiya's LATER one...
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hi all,
Actually I have to disagree slightly. The Italeri jeep is much better than the old Tamiya SAS jeep. I've built a couple of Italeri ones and with a little TLC you can still make a nice accurate model out of it. The old Tamiya jeep is pretty much a lost cause. I agree that the newer Tamiya jeep is the best of the bunch currently to use as a starting point for SAS jeeps. If you can afford it go with the Swash Designs set for the early SAS jeeps, it's the best.
Regards, Bob
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you can afford it go with the Swash Designs set for the early SAS jeeps, it's the best.

It's also. I believe OOP. At around three times the price of the Legends one, I know what i'd go for as well.

The Italeri jeep IS better (as I said above) but it's not even close to the later Tamiya Willys. The Tamiya Willys does need a little bit of work, not much though, their earlier SAS Jeep is truly diabolical.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info guys, i knew someone here would know.
As for all the detail at least i know now what goes where,as i have to work on a budget (two male rugrats never work out cheap !) i`m planning to scratch-build the finer details - i find it more rewarding that way anyway.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
Just for you to use as reference this is a good site with some nice pictures.

http://www.m201.com/sasjeep.htm

Randy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
as stated the old taymia jeep is junk.... toss it, or better yet give it to a young modeler to toss together in an afternoon.

As for the newer taymia vs. italeri...yes, new tool (35219) is the best out there OOB. does need some minor tweaks
- accelerator pedal added
- clutch/break pedal added
- T-hooks on hood added

As for italeri, dont completely knock it yet. I still use the kits for basis for conversions and such, as the multi-part body lends itself to easy conversions. It also needs the same details added as taymia, PLUS:
- replace wheels with taymia copies (or a snow chained set, or Legends new civilian tires, but you will still need some rear ones)
- replace steering wheel
Both Verlinden and KMC made some decent upgrade sets for the italeri jeep that gives you some bits to upgrade it as well. But overall, if you replace the wheels it makes the Italeri jeep look 200% better, and a quick glance you wont be able to tell it and a new tool taymia jeep apart.

shameless plug... ill be starting a jeep series in SMMI in the coming months, working through some of the common, and some not so common conversions and variations! Ill be using both new Tamiya and Italeri for my base kits.
Andy

_GOTOTOP