_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
New to You? Riich Models from China
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:10 PM UTC
Firstly my thanks to Roman (Bizarre) for the heads up on this one!

Riich Models is a NEW Chinese model manufacturer who have just launched their first releases and their first, in 1/35th Scale

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:17 PM UTC
Good grief, seems there is a new plastic manufacturer every month these days

Potentially good news, a strange (but welcome) choice of first release, but a lot will depend on the quality of the actual figures when we see them

Could be a great set for a Rhine Crossing dio?

Chris
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC
Well, 3 of the 4 I can figure, Pamela Churchill has got me mightily confused!
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:41 PM UTC
At the risk of sounding sexist, I suspect she's there to make up the numbers

EDIT:

Actually, it looks like she's in the box because she was in the photo Jim
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/NA004109.jpg?size=67&uid=9401b93e-89ff-4eed-8497-10e5df64a3a2
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:08 PM UTC
Interestingly Terry Ashley lists this in his new section as a company from Moscow Russia. Guess we'll find out which is correct in the fullness of time.

Certainly has the look and feel of Bronco Models about the box art etc. Maybe some employees left to do there own thing.

Good to see another appearing anyway.

Alan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terry Ashley lists this in his new section as a company from Moscow Russia. Guess we'll find out which is correct in the fullness of time.

Well, the reality is that they ARE a Chinese company and are based in Hong Kong. They are known to my Chinese contacts but are NOT any kind of 'Bronco-Offshoot'
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi

Wonder where Terry got the Russian part from, maybe because (if I'm correct) the guy who did the box art illustration is Russian.

Certainly the Chinese writing on the box would have indicated to me a Chinese company.

Anyway, as I said nice to see another new company chasing after our pocket money.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonder where Terry got the Russian part from, maybe because (if I'm correct) the guy who did the box art illustration is Russian.

exactly. I think it is the same painter that makes box arts for Mini-Art.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
http://www.baumann.co.jp/list/Richmodel/RV35023.htm

actual figure images
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

actual figure images

Oh dear, the heads aren't great Pamela churchill looks like a guy
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi

Got to agree with Chris, although I think he's being kind, I think they are bl**dy awful, not just the female figure.

Take away the box art and you'd never guess who they were supposed to be.........

Alan

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC
Images of the figures added.

I'm not even sure these are production images - I get the impression they are the masters.

As to the previous comments, it's worth bearing in mind that the only image so far available is extremely small and even playing around with it, it's not a good image.

Perhaps comments like 'bloody awful' could wait until we get the Hi-Res images?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
The likeness may not be there, but the figures - as figures - are pretty good.. except, I have to admit, the lady's face. A lot of sculptors seem to have a problem with sculpting convincing female faces and body shapes.

Hisham
Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Maybe the faces aren't great but I like the subject choice. If it costs in Master Box range I will probably buy it.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 05:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

actual figure images

I was thinking James May.

Thanks for the link and the review. If they are cheap I may pick up a set. I have a "dio on hold" that I could use the male figures with. Who knows what this company might put out next.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Quote from Jim Rae
"There have been three glaring examples of this in the last month or two, only yesterday, indignation reached new heights when a 1/35th scale (styrene) figure's face 'Didn't look like the original person'. That was a release from a NEW company who we're trying to establish contacts and future cooperation with... Obvious isn't it? "

Since you've chosen to write this in another post I thought it appropriate to reply, but so as not to send that thread too far off course I'll answer you here.

New heights of indignation......I think not, just plain honest speaking about what is presented to you.

If the company had introduced the subject as a Tiger , Churchill or Sherman tank and it looked nothing like that subject then one would expect comments to that effect, so what is different and actually more relevant and important when portraying a specific individual.

No amount of you "playing around with the images" would bring these into a reasonable likeness of the subjects named. If you can't see that I respectfully suggest you pop along to your nearest optician for an eye test. It doesn't need hi res images to see these are simply not representative of the characters they are supposed to portray.

Also, as it seems one has to explain yourself down to the last cross of the letter T, my remarks are purely concerning the likeness to their chosen subject, not about the quality of the figures moulding, proportions, etc.

If these had been marketed as just four figures I would have said they are very good, but that's not the point.

The point is they do not look like who they say they are and if an unsuspecting modeller was to buy these figures on the strength of the box art images it would leave them very disappointed upon viewing the contents, if they remain as the images shown.. Possibly never to buy another of their products again.

Is it not better the company is aware of its subjects shortcomings before its making its way to the shops and warehouses. Even more so if its a new company with the first product you present to the market.

Cut it whatever way you like, on evidence presented so far these look nothing like the subjects they are meant to portray, and my comments are based on that evidence. One which not I, but the company has chosen to publish to the modelling world as the product .

As un- named individuals they look very good figures, but as representative of the people they are supposed to portray, which is what they are being sold as after all, they are as I said before, awful.

Alan

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC
Perhaps, it's simply unattainable to produce a facial likeness in a 1/35th styrene head?

There is also perhaps too much expectation as to just HOW similar to te actual figure it is reasonable to expect? If the pose, bodies, uniform detail etc. is pretty good and the face is 'reasonable' then the limitations of moulding in styrene should be accepted?

I don't like the face AT ALL in Pamela Churchill although this seems to be a common problem (as Hisham mentioned) in 1/35th scale (female) figures...

At the end of the day, it does seem to be pushing it to expect an accurate likeness...
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....I don't like the face AT ALL in Pamela Churchill although this seems to be a common problem (as Hisham mentioned) in 1/35th scale (female) figures...

mmm...maybe they just need to expand thier talent base a bit?? These folks apear do some beautiful female figures..
http://aurora-model.jp/e-index.html, http://www.miniature-park.com/index_e.php

skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
at least there is a company willing to attempt some famous people... at least Montgomery isnt holding a cup of tea!

replace the heads and they would still be useable as the detail on the uniforms and bodies looks pretty good...
but as jim pointed out, let see what the high-res looks like AND what they look like in hand ...
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:06 AM UTC
Odd choice for a figure set, but an interesting one. Looking at the sample, the sculpting is bit off. Hisham is right, it seems that sculptors have a problem getting the proportions of the female body, so far Masterbox has been able to come out with a convincing human figure in plastic kits.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps, it's simply unattainable to produce a facial likeness in a 1/35th styrene head?

There is also perhaps too much expectation as to just HOW similar to te actual figure it is reasonable to expect? If the pose, bodies, uniform detail etc. is pretty good and the face is 'reasonable' then the limitations of moulding in styrene should be accepted?

I don't like the face AT ALL in Pamela Churchill although this seems to be a common problem (as Hisham mentioned) in 1/35th scale (female) figures...

At the end of the day, it does seem to be pushing it to expect an accurate likeness...

The miniart Monty in the commonwealth NA set was pretty good. You can get reasonably close in styrene

It doesn't have to be a stunning likeness, but if you are going to release a set of famous figures then they should look at least a bit like their namesakes. The Churchill figure does look a bit like Churchill. Other than that the other three could be anybody. And the Pamela figure........ well I don't want to be too harsh so I won't comment further
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Andy I took a look at the figures you linked to and the figures that were there in 1/35th scale were in resin, and I still don't think looked that feminine some of the best female figures I have seen in 1/35th scale are from Bronco.

Now back on track I can see the benefit of a figure set like this one, and while the facial detail looks a little off it may look better in the flesh so to speak. I myself am willing to cut them some slack as the body/clothing portion of the model looks very good with no serious issues, and being a new company who knows how they will grow and develop in this area of the hobby. I wish them luck.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC
I like the figures, whether they look like the personalities they are meant to portary doesn't really concern me as I'd use them as generic figures.

If, as is likely, they are based on the photo that Chris linked to then I see where the problem might be. I don't think the officer on the left of the photo is General Brian Horrocks- it looks nothing like him- not the plastic figure- the actual photo.

I don't know whether Pamela Churchill, Winston's daughter in law accompanied him on his visit to the front, The woman may be Churchill's daughter Mary who was actually in the ATS.

Corbis don't name the two figures- their label reads "Prime Minister Winston Churchill, accompanied by a group of British and American officers, visits the Rhine River in Germany shortly after its capture by Allied forces. 1945."

Whoever they are I have already asked my LHS to reserve a set for me when they come in.
graymouser17
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 02:25 AM UTC
where in the united states can i buy this figure set?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

actual figure images

Yes...Mrs Pamela was a quite attractive woman...Miniature looks like Mel Gibson