_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Knocked out PAK40 , How?
6stringer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
Is it possible to , and if so , how , do you turn a peice of armour , whether it be a tank , jeep , staff car or in my case a German PAK40/L46 gun into a knocked out , smouldering wreck?
Do you build it first then mess it up? or do you inflict the damage as your building it?
I have built mine but now I want to utilise it in my next dio as a roadside knock out as the US arny advances..
Can I use a form of heat to carefully bend the damage into shape?..
any thoughts or tips would be grateful..
best [img[/img]
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
That depends how it was knocked out. Was the crew killed, this could be just bullet splash hits on the gun shield. If there was an artillery strike nearby, there could be some damage to the barrel and shields. If it was a direct hit from a tank firing back at it, there would be the usual hole whetre the round hit, and possibly effects from stored ammo going off. I would think there would be shield damage, with lesser gun tube / trails being bent.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:44 AM UTC
I Googled "Kocked out anti tank gun" in Images and found some good reference shots.

One thing I noticed is that a knocked out ATG doesn't really get all that damaged. I guess in most cases the crew are attacked more so than the gun?

In most cases a wheel or both are knocked off and the gunshield gets knocked about a bit. I reckon I'd remove one wheel, to give it the unbalanced look and maybe cut some pieces out of the gun shield to look like torn metal ? Maybe a bullet hole or two for which a heated pin/nail works well.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC
Some inspiring pics :

Full size

HTH

Frenchy

Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Are the second and third shots of guns that have been spiked and the breeches blown off, particularly the last one with the cartridge in the barrel?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC
I was thinking the same about picture #3...Maybe the cartridge has been put there by the photographer

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP