_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Skirt Technique
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 05:01 PM UTC
I haven't been able to build in a few months now, so I find myself always thinking about my workbench and the models I still get to build. Today I may have stumbled upon a technique to create the "grass skirts" that cover tracked vehicles' road wheels. (If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, I apologize, I don't know the terminology...I think these "skirts" are mainly found on amphibs, and they're meant to reduce the heat signal of the delicate wheels.) All you need is some cheap ribbon. Cut a thin strip along the long edge, then pinch and pull at the rough long edge until it starts to fray. Keep pulling, thread by thread, until you get enough of the horizontal threads off so it looks like this:

You can kinda see the horizontal threads coming off near the bottom white "petals" (?)

Then you're left with a bunch of curly threads to do with what you please.

What do you guys think about this idea? Oh and if someone knows the technical term for what I'm trying to model here, please speak up and educate us all. (And if you have a picture too, that would be splendid!)
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 05:03 PM UTC
Quick note: you might want to get black ribbon instead of this flowery stuff
 _GOTOTOP