_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 12:57 AM UTC
AFV Club have just published images of their New Tiger I in 1/35th Scale, images of which can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
so, new tracks and new mudguards?
If it is just the old model, why they haven't put zimmerit on the finished example?
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
I presume for the same reason DML don't; to allow people who want to choose the patter, either DIY or with AM

Other companies endlessly repop the same kit with minor variations (a small sprue of new parts), why not AFV Club?
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 01:38 AM UTC
Who does their research? I have doubts about those decals.

David
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I presume for the same reason DML don't; to allow people who want to choose the patter, either DIY or with AM

Chris, I had the previous kit from AFV club and all variants clearly indicated that there must be a zimmerit coating.

I am just wondering what is the point to paint a model without it?

If I am not mistaken- DML don't make painted examples, they only show a build up of what is in the box.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I am not mistaken- DML don't make painted examples, they only show a build up of what is in the box.

Well, in fact, they show SOME build-ups - by no means all of their models are shown in this manner. When we showed AFV Club's Sd.Kfz.231, it was the built and unpainted model.

Are you going somewhere with this?
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 406 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:59 AM UTC
Looking carefully at the pics, it seems the entire front mudguards are from PE,
with just the flaps from PE on the rear mudguards.
Unfortunately, the tracks are the full length vinyl type (previously available as set AF35131), without the holes in the guide teeth.
Apart from that it looks very much the same as the old 'latest' kit.

I reckon if they would throw in the workable transport track set (AF35129) and the small PE set (TH35011), that they would create more interest/sales?
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:02 AM UTC
what do you mean if I am going somewhere?

Maybe Chris misunderstood me due to my English skills or I misunderstood why he put DML as an example... (maybe both?)

It is fine that the model (plastic) has no zimmerit, I can do it DIY, no problem, I have nothing against it.

What I was wondering is why they painted a model, without putting zimmerit first. Was this version of Tiger I without zimmerit?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I was wondering is why they painted a model, without putting zimmerit first. Was this version of Tiger I without zimmerit?

Well, if they had applied Zimm, then logically people would assume that it was included in the model? Same way they didn't add a crew...

I still don't understand what the implication is here. They published a series of images of their painted and built model (no, I also prefer unpainted builds from manufacturers). Some people like seeing the finished model, others don't.

Whatever you and I say about it, people will still buy it - it's a popular and commercial subject. Every manufacturer needs it's money-spinner, a lot of us don't like Battle Barbies, but they allowed DML to do the vehicles and variants they did. With AFV Club, releasing another Tiger makes more commercial sense than an M42 Duster, it won't get the headlines but it'll make more money - allowing them to produce the M42 and other lesser-known subjects...
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
Commercial sense or not, I think that this is really pointless release. But then again, nobody is twisting my arm to buy it so...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Commercial sense or not, I think that this is really pointless release. But then again, nobody is twisting my arm to buy it so...

Exactly....
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
a `new` tiger: ...

*crickets chriping*
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, if they had applied Zimm, then logically people would assume that it was included in the model? Same way they didn't add a crew...

well, I just think that it is not right to show your product with inappropriate finish. I am confused.
I like their products a lot and dont have anything against them.

Quoted Text

Whatever you and I say about it, people will still buy it
...- allowing them to produce the M42 and other lesser-known subjects...

well, I think M42 to will be sold much better as Tiger since we have a lot of Tigers on the market and none up-to-date tooled M42's. but that is not a topic of this thread.

rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Other companies endlessly repop the same kit with minor variations (a small sprue of new parts), why not AFV Club?

Ah but Dragon does have one with premolded Zim. Kit 6383. I will admit though that all the rest of their 1/35 Tiger kits do not have this feature. I prefer it with out.

Roy
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

well, I just think that it is not right to show your product with inappropriate finish. I am confused.
I like their products a lot and dont have anything against them.

You might not like it, but I have to agree with Jim here Roman

To show the model finished with zimmerit would lead peole to think the kit had zimmerit

For the same reason when I release photos of my own new releases I am careful to make sure the pictures ONLY feature the base kit plus my kit. To correct or add anything else would be misleading. Like voyagers press releases that show every set on a kit when it is only advertising one set

In my view I couldn't give a flying hoot whether a kit 'looks right' in the picture, so long as the picture does not mislead me on what is included in the kit, and these pictures might look odd, but at least you can see what's in the kit and nothing else

As for the necessity of it having zimmerit, thats never stopped EVERY OTHER manufacturer releasing versions without it, so no need to pick on AFV Club this time for that
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ah but Dragon does have one with premolded Zim. Kit 6383. I will admit though that all the rest of their 1/35 Tiger kits do not have this feature. I prefer it with out.

Roy

and even that one they did a couple of versions of without premoulded zimm as well Roy.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC
Chris, I am not picking on AFV club for not making zimmerit.

I see that people simply ignore that there can be different opinions.
The more and more I see things like that at the forum the less and less I want to press "reply" button.
I quit this discussion. Enjoy yourself, gentleman.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
" With AFV Club, releasing another Tiger makes more commercial sense than an M42 Duster, it won't get the headlines but it'll make more money - allowing them to produce the M42 and other lesser-known subjects...
"

At first ,I admit being disapointed and baffled by this release . No, won't be getting it , but enough people will so the Duster and the LVT "workable" tracks be more economically feasible .

So. rock on, Tiger fans, buy 2 if it it gets AFV club to FINALLY release the the M-42
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 12:26 PM UTC
A somewhat perplexing release - is it just a re-pop of their original late kit with added tracks and fenders? I bought the original late tiger kit and was somewhat disappointed, especially with some molded-on components that virtually all other companies would make seperately. I don't see much of an issue with the zimm - I believe people prefer to make their own or use AM? At any rate, I wish them well with this release, as it may allow them to release other kits. As an aside, keep in mind DML's (Cyberhobby) box art on their most recent Tiger I kit shows no zimm where there should be....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 08:12 PM UTC
The replies and arguments (on both sides) have been pretty logical. However, there's something missing. By no means everyone who buys this is going to be a Tiger expert or even much of an expert at armor in general, they'll buy it because it's a Tiger. If this is in a LHS and it's $10-15 cheaper than a DML one, people will buy it. There ARE (no matter how we want to fool ourselves, people who still build models because of the subject and because the AFV looks like a big mean ..... (add your own explitive here ). They might buy the occasional mag, but they prpbably don't use Sites like this and probably aren't even vaguely worried about it's accuracy... They'll take it home, build it, paint it and go onto the next. They won't research it, they won't buy AM or replacement decals.

That, for some, will be hard to swallow, but the majority of models are NOT sold to people like us....
 _GOTOTOP