Hosted by Darren Baker
CORK!
HauptmanSmith
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:22 PM UTC
Just a couple progress shot of a building I've made over the past week for an upcoming diorama! the building is made from foamboard, cork, wood, some brass, and plaster. It still has to be fully weathered and tile flooring will be going into the interior. Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
Cork seems the way to go for brick and stone work. The broken planks are quite realistic. Did you use plaster over some of the cork for the grey areas? What did you make the drain pipe out of?
HauptmanSmith
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hello Matt,
After all the cork was glued into place, the ENTIRE building was gone over with a light gray plaster, once dried, I went over the model with a stiff flat paintbrush to clear away excess "dust" and "crumbs" if you know what i mean
The drain pipe was made from aluminum tubing, I'm not sure on the size of the tubing being that I "eyeballed" the size when i bought it!
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:19 PM UTC
Isn't building with cork so mindlessly entertaining? You did a really nice job finishing and wearing down the "bricks" too!
HauptmanSmith
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
Thank you for your compliment Robby! I love making buildings with cork, I'm never disappointed with the results I get.

A small update for anyone watching I suppose...

Ive added windows to the building as well as some broken glass made from a clear plastic container that push pins come enclosed in.
I've also applied 2 additional washes and started work on the interior walls, the lower floor is being finished with stucco walls and the upper floor is being left as raw brick, unless i come up with a better idea till then.
I'm scratch building the door from styrene and bass wood.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 02:14 AM UTC
Looking great, very realistic - only nit-pick I can find is the bricks under the front door, i think they are better replaced with a concrete og stone step.

othervise, beautiful work!

Cheers/Jan
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
Great Work,

Al
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Awesome work!!! I really like it … I wish I could build something as cool as that!!! I would like to see more!

Regards,
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC
Hi James,
good effort and good result! hope see more
congrats!
Carlos
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi James!
Awesome work indeed... In fact i am planning to follow your steps for the build of my first house... You make it look so simple that i resolved to try myself.
I have a question for you if i may: after having laid down the briks and paint them, do you clear coat them before adding plaster?
Thank you for the info, and keep up the wonderful work!
Ciao
Edo
HauptmanSmith
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 01:16 PM UTC
Thanks Everyone for the kind words! The diorama including this building will soon be underway (a rather large bit) Hoping to post an update within the week!

Edoardo:
Thank you for the kind comments!
I'm glad I could portray this technique for you to try! It's very simple and fun to do! After gluing all the bricks down I airbrush a coat of enamel "leather" over all the brick, then plaster the brick with gray tinted plaster of paris using a small putty knife and a stiff flat ended brush to work the plaster into all the nooks and crannies. When dry I brush off all the dust and loose bits, then airbrush enamel flat clear coat over everything before washes and weathering. If you have additional questions feel free to ask! Enjoy and have fun!
Regards,
-James
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
Outstanding work, amigo. Nice detail, the brickwork is top notch, the weathering is great and nice attention to the small stuff. Keep us posted. One of the best looking structures I have seen.
Ironmike
kiweed420
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:54 PM UTC
this is indeed a good read with nice work ill follow
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 06:00 PM UTC
Hi James and thank you for the kind reply!
I do have another question for you: I don't understand how you deal with the styrofoam. I mean you have two layers of bricks, one on the facade and the other one on the inside wall of the house, but where the wall is broken you can see bethween them. How do you deal with that? Mybe, in my case the problem is more evident because the cork I am using is just 2 mm thick, and so the brick is pretty incostintent if looked at from the side but nevertheless there always is a very dispropotionate thikness bethween the two layers of brick that is unrealistic, in my opinion.
What do you think?
Thank you again
Cia
Edo
HauptmanSmith
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Edo,
To "mask" the appearance of the styrofoam I usually carve the foam to look like the center layers of bricks, then work more plaster into the foam so it has the same or very similar texture the the exterior bricks. This can be an advantage if your exterior bricks are not to scale thickness because you can make the visible bricks on the edge of the break in the wall the correct thickness by carving the "missing" proportion into the foam then plastering the ends making the "broken" bricks on the edge of the walls appear to be wide enough. This is easier in some cases depending on the tools you have available because for some its easier to carve the foam instead of cutting all the brick to scale thickness. Be careful though, by using thinner bricks on the outside and inside you may have to increase the thickness of the foam to make the wall as a whole the proper width. Good luck! And have fun!
-James
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hi James!
Thank you for the kind reply
I have understood now, problem is I started before asking! Too enthusiastc to wait, and now I just realized my wall is less then 30cm thick, which is ok for a wall in year 2000 but much less for a wall of the beginning of last century...
Anyway I am having fun for sure!!
Thankyou again,
Ciao
Edo
 _GOTOTOP