_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Scud B (Dragon Shanghai) how is it?
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:56 PM UTC
Dear friends,

I am about to blow SGD 100++ or USD 80++ to buy this Scud B from Dragon Shanghai online from Japan...

a) Anyone built this kit before? fitting problems, accuracy?

b) The kit is selling for SGD 45 but the freight to my doorstep is like SGD 60, more expensive than the kit... wow anyone knows where I can get it cheaper?

Cheers
Kiong

Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 07:15 PM UTC
I'm not much into russian armor, but from what I've read, the interior is very basic, almost non existant, but it's the only game in 1/35. Eduard does a PE set but I think you'll be having a lot of scratchbuilding to do if you want to accurize it.

Look around, I believe there were some topics here with in-progress pics.
bos7674
Visit this Community
Ryazanr, Russia
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
Greetings.
МАЗ-543 The car difficult enough if decide to do I will help the information that at me is.
I have let out on it wheels of Vi-203 and I will soon present the corrected suspension bracket.
Oleg.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
To buy or not to buy, that is the question!! It all depends on your own demands and what you consider is appropriate. I built it about 6 years ago and enjoyed it, but what I expect from a model has changed a lot in those six years since.

As mentioned, the interior compartments are very bare, and if you leave doors open, youŽll need to add details. There are interior and exterior etch sets available from Eduard, which help, but theres still a lot to be added, so good references are needed, especailly for the plumbing to the rocket. The chasis and suspensions lack a lot, but maybe Oleg can help with this (see post above).
Some of the compartments need to be closed off, as the end gaps are visible when assembled. For me the biggest problem was when the four compartments or units are built seperatly, I found it very difficult to get them all placed properly on the chasis. I had to do some extra cutting to make this work. The roof of the drivers compartment has a bad fit, and as it has to be kept seperate until the interior is painted, itŽll need plastic and putty to fill afterwards.

On the other hand, if you put in the work and do a good job, youŽll have a very spectacular model, that will stand out both in your model display and on a competition table.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC
It is a very basis old school model.....I would not spend that kind of money on the kit. I went hog wild and bought the Eduard PE sets, resin wheels and worked many hours on it.....the body parts/modules did not fit together well and I had alot of trimming/sanding to do....I would only look for the kit at a model show, in the US it usually can be picked up for about 35 dollars, which is what I paid for it.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
At best, it's a challenge. I built one quite a while back. As mentioned, adding the four modules to the frame was an exercise in frustration. They don't fit there at all wel. I used both Eduard sets and it looks okay. The work stations are absolutely barren, just bare walls. The bottom of the chassis is completely open; okay if you never plan to lok undereneath. Neither is there any type of tie rod mechanism on the front axles. The instructions for the launcher suggest it is movable. Fuhgeddaboudit! Choose to display it in launch mode or travel mode nd stick to your plan. The connectors are too small and fragile to be workable.
All that said, it is big and impressive.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:05 AM UTC

I built one about 12 years ago and actually got all the 'cabs" to go on without alignment problems...I must be special. However, all the previous comments are more indicative of the kit...fit issues, MUCH lack of detail, and it was designed/produced over 20 years ago with minimal information. It is a preshaped blank canvas...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

It will build up ok from the box, but i would hate to see you expect a lot from it considering the price you may have to pay. I know shipping is expensive to Singapore, so it may just be the "price" you have to pay for the kit...no getting around shipping costs.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 11:23 AM UTC
I think I built mine 10 + years ago before PE Its still in my case. you really need to beef up the axles for the wheels I ended up running brass rod for axle all the way through the kit, But I have seen some excellent builds on this board, keep looking.
Jim
 _GOTOTOP