_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:35 sFH 18 artillery piece
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:12 PM UTC
OK fellas, yet another question; I have been wanting to build a 1:35 sFH 18 artillery piece for quite some time now. I’d prefer either the Dragon or Trumpeter kit, but don’t know which is better detailed OOB. Since both are comparable in price, I’d prefer to get whatever is the better of the two. Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks a bunch,
Kevin
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:25 PM UTC
The reviews I've seen thus far put the Dragon kit as the way to go it seems. Still, any input is more than welcome.
TimTam27
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Kevin.

I have examples of both kits and would say there is no contest. The Dragon kit is far superior.

The Trumpeter kit has some dimensional issues (see PMMS review) and if I remember correctly, several ejector pin marks that need to be filled. Another drawback is that the gun can only be shown in the towing position.

The Dragon kit is beautifully detailed, fits pretty well and can be shown in either towed or firing position. The only real negative I can see for the Dragon kit is that it is missing a conical cap at the forward end of the recoil housing above the barrel.

The Dragon kit is best suited as a mid to late war weapon due to the tyre type and some other small details. The Trumpeter kit has early-type tyres. The only real reason I can see to buy the Trumpeter kit is to use the wheels and tyres from that to backdate the Dragon kit to an early gun.

Hope this helps,
TimTam27
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thanks Tim, that helps a lot. I'm not real sure why anyone would ever build an artillery piece in a towed configuration, but I never will. That's good information to know regarding the trumpeter kit. As to ejector pin marks, trumpeter is notorious for that.
Bullethead35
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Kevin:

Actually, I just picked up the Dragon sFH 18 to tow behind my Sd.Kfz. 7 (Late) that I'm finishing now. I haven't even opened the box yet (came yesterday).

I just couldn't leave the halftrack's tow pintle empty. It's a nasty habit I picked up years ago. I've probably built a dozen arty pieces and only one is in firing position.

It's all good. I fully expect I'm the odd one, I usually am!

TJ
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
Personally i would opt for the Dragon version, as others have stated it is the better out of the two........but i opted to buy the Trumpeter kit.

Ive bought two of the Trumpeter versions, this was done because they were cheaper than the Dragon version, i have found that LSA models are sellinng these of for around the £16/£17.00 mark.

I have also added the pe for these kits, mainly to improve them, but with the savings and a few bob i also bought the Pak44.........so it cant be that bad, as i say i only bought the Trumpeter versions as they were cheaper!
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kevin:

Actually, I just picked up the Dragon sFH 18 to tow behind my Sd.Kfz. 7 (Late) that I'm finishing now. I haven't even opened the box yet (came yesterday).

I just couldn't leave the halftrack's tow pintle empty. It's a nasty habit I picked up years ago. I've probably built a dozen arty pieces and only one is in firing position.

It's all good. I fully expect I'm the odd one, I usually am!

TJ

Well I certainly didn't mean to imply that there's something wrong with depicting artillery in a towed configuration, it's just not my bag. (I probably should have kept my mouth shut about that.) I don't have any prime movers to speak of though; if I did I might have a different perspective. To me, artillery at rest or preparing to fire just looks cool. I have the Dragon Pak 40 I'll probably be doing in an ambush scene, preparing to lay waste to a Sherman or some other poor guys.
Bullethead35
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
I'm not sure why I feel the need to build prime-mover/gun tandems, now I have to build TWO entire models to complete ONE project!

Anyway, I started the gun Saturday and I'm pretty well along. It's very well molded and the fit is great. The biggest thing I've found are some mold seams between rivets on some of the parts. I either cleaned them up by scraping with an Xacto or just sanded them off and replaced them (depending on where they were).

The instructions are very confusing, I usually go with the pictures and don't get too hung up on the call-outs. The PMMS kit review lists all of the corrections for the instructions, by the way.

I hope to have it done by this weekend, but we'll see.

Enjoy!

TJ
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure why I feel the need to build prime-mover/gun tandems, now I have to build TWO entire models to complete ONE project!

Anyway, I started the gun Saturday and I'm pretty well along. It's very well molded and the fit is great. The biggest thing I've found are some mold seams between rivets on some of the parts. I either cleaned them up by scraping with an Xacto or just sanded them off and replaced them (depending on where they were).

The instructions are very confusing, I usually go with the pictures and don't get too hung up on the call-outs. The PMMS kit review lists all of the corrections for the instructions, by the way.

I hope to have it done by this weekend, but we'll see.

Enjoy!

TJ

Do you have a WIP on here somewhere? I'm still learning to navigate this humongo site.
sword86
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Tim, that helps a lot. I'm not real sure why anyone would ever build an artillery piece in a towed configuration, but I never will. That's good information to know regarding the trumpeter kit. As to ejector pin marks, trumpeter is notorious for that.

I have the Dragon kit and the only way I would consider building it is towed, so I guess that makes me another oddball. It looks so cool in the towing configuration, IMO.

sword86
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
Oh, and an FYI.
I got mine for $20 from HLJ.....it shipped last Thursday and arrived today.
I searched pretty hard everywhere to find one in stock at close to twice the price.

Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have the Dragon kit and the only way I would consider building it is towed, so I guess that makes me another oddball. It looks so cool in the towing configuration, IMO.

Well again, no offense meant. I tend to do that;... run my mouth, then think about what I said. I think I annoy a lot of folks by doing that. It's just a bad habit I guess.
sword86
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
Oh, no offense taken whatsoever, really. I have an AFV PaK 43/41 that will be built in firing position. Just figured the 18 in towed mode is cool. Picked up the Griffon PE set for it. No blue air here.

_GOTOTOP