_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
dirty windshields
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Guys:
What's the best way to paint a dirty windshield? Also whats the best way to mask it were the wipers were used?
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
One thing that has worked for me in the past is to mask the path of the the wipers with masking tape. Then spray the windsheild with a light coat of earth or buff. When the paint drys remove the mask, dust the windsheild with a little pastels, and you should be good to go.

Harry D
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
whiterook

I read a technique in a FSM mag quite awhile ago.. The author used frisket paper.. Now I believe that its got an adhesive on one side.. He measured the wiper blades of the truck then transfered that measurment to a compass.. Then drew two circles to represent the sweep of each end of the blade, then cut out the appropriate piece that fit the window

He applied the frisket to the kit window and weathered the windshield.. Then when dry, peeled off the frisket and viola a dirty windshield with a clean area to represent the sweep of the wipers.. Hope this makes sense and helps you out.

Dave
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
I used the mask and buff overspray to do the windows on this 1/48 scale truck. Simply cut a circle out of Tamiya masking tape with a pair of dividers, then trimed to form the arc, and let the windows catch some of the "dust" while i weathered the rest of the vehicle.

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC
In the past, I've used regular Scotch Tape cut to the path of the wiper and fixed to the WS. Then just lightly dry-brushing the WS with a light earth color. Once happy with the results, remove the tape.

Maybe I'm lazy (or crazy), but breaking out the airbrush just to do a windshield, doesn't make sense to me. (I wouldn't do it.) I'd also be afraid of 'over shooting'. Light dry-brushing is IMHO, the way to go. (Do see my signature line.)

I know that when I was a driver and out in the field, I was always keeping the windshield (and lights if not tactical) as clean as possible... even if the only means of cleaning them, was by using my crusty old snot rag. Gave me a excuse to get out of the vehicle and stretch a little.
 _GOTOTOP