_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The m 109
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
I´m about to start a project of the M109 in Danish service, and as I have no personal experience with the M109 howitzers I need some information on the subject.

In the picture I have enlarged a detail of a device located to the right of the gun barrel: what is this?

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
It's the speed counter.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
More appropriately called a chronograph, but yes, it calculates the speed of the round, aka the muzzle velocity. The muzzle velocity is used to measure differences in propellants to more accurately calculate a firing solution and be more precise with where the rounds land.
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Gents.

Not to be sene on this picture is a sort of "viewing devise" under the bracket for this. Is that part of an aiming "thingie"?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More appropriately called a chronograph

But strangely enough, in three years as a chief on the gun, no one calls it that.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But strangely enough, in three years as a chief on the gun, no one calls it that.

Not sure why. In 2 years as an FDO, that is what we called it.

Quoted Text

Not to be sene on this picture is a sort of "viewing devise" under the bracket for this. Is that part of an aiming "thingie"?

I think you are talking about the direct fire scope mounted to the right of the barrel (looking from the TC's position). It is the black, horizontal block with the teardrop cover to the left of the gun in the below pic. It is used to sight in on a relatively close object when using the gun in direct fire mode, which is not the preferred way to fire it.

redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure why. In 2 years as an FDO, that is what we called it..

Well the officers and the entire FDC knew it as the radar chronograph....the gun crews called it the radar speed gun....the supply SGT knew it as that expensive electronic box!!

Quoted Text

I think you are talking about the direct fire scope mounted to the right of the barrel (looking from the TC's position). It is the black, horizontal block with the teardrop cover to the left of the gun in the below pic. It is used to sight in on a relatively close object when using the gun in direct fire mode, which is not the preferred way to fire it.

[/quote]

Direct fire in training is always great for the crews because the get to see what they are shooting at. It is usaully the highlight of an exercise.

In combat it is something you hope never to do. If the enemy is that close you can see them....its not good! A howitzer is not a tank, it is really used for indirect fire. The elbow telescope for direct fire is totally for defensive purposes.

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure why. In 2 years as an FDO, that is what we called it..

Well the officers and the entire FDC knew it as the radar chronograph....the gun crews called it the radar speed gun....the supply SGT knew it as that expensive electronic box!!

Quoted Text

Direct fire in training is always great for the crews because the get to see what they are shooting at. It is usaully the highlight of an exercise.

In combat it is something you hope never to do. If the enemy is that close you can see them....its not good! A howitzer is not a tank, it is really used for indirect fire. The elbow telescope for direct fire is totally for defensive purposes.

Rounds Complete!![/quote]

at least you got a hydraulic rammer! Want to have fun? Try it with a towed gun and the neighbors close enough to smell their bad breath. All those fancey pentell scopes don't do a thing. You just crank the barrel down to about a minus three degrees and shoot charge ones green bag with a minimum time fuse. Aim by looking thru the breech (I know it sounds dumb). WP with a second and a half usually gets their attention span

But of course you could do what the 175 boys did. They load the powder with out a round and roast anything in front of them
glt
ColonelKFChicken
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 08:52 PM UTC
What Brand of kit? is it the Revell one as I dont remember there being a Muzzle velocity indicator in that kit.... scratch build coming up I think.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 12:02 AM UTC
No, none of the M109 kits come with the Chronograph. It is easy to scratch though.
 _GOTOTOP