_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Schurtzen mesh
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC
Can anyone advise me on how to replicate schurtzen mesh for a Panz IV J. I'd like a cheaper alternative to Aber's $40 p/e set.

Simon

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hello Simon, I was toying with the idea of buy a fine strainer from the household section in a department store then cut the mesh out. Because I saw those strainers got various different size for the eyes of the mesh, all we need to do is find one the is of the same size or close (I am not that much of a bolt counter), then we have a large piece of metal mesh that can be used for a couple tanks. Besides those things are cheap, run down like 5 buck a piece or somethin....

Just my 2 Hong Kong Cents
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 09:09 PM UTC
Simon,
Check your local crafts store. They may have rolls of woven mesh in aluminum or copper.
I was able to find aluminum, which is easier to cut. If they do have it, take a look at "80 mesh", it should be a good match to scale. Usually the mesh in household strainers is stainless steel, which is difficult to cut.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
Simon--here's another for you. Go to a fabric shop. Look at the various bridal veil material. Select the mesh that most closely matches your vision of the bazooka pants. Make a frame for the vehicle skirts. Now, you can either use dilute white glue to stiffen the veil. Or, dig this, sugar water. Soak the veil in sugar water then allow to dry on the frame. Becomes stiff as a board. Trim the edges. Try it.
DJ
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 09:41 AM UTC
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into each of those options and see which is the easiest and cheapest!

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 12:09 PM UTC
check the model railroad shops,they different types of mesh in the different railroad scales.......o,ho,s,and n
 _GOTOTOP