_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Normandy
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Mixing SHQ, Hat, Caesar Revell and Italeri figures is a pain.... Very different dimentions.. . Trying to do a U.S. Troops in Normandy Dio and the lack of non fighting poses made me mix brands and scales 1/76 and 1/72. Even the figures of the same scale have very diferent dimentions.

Here is the beggining of the Dio, a Church from Alemany in plaster. The detail is very good, the entrance is amazing.
It has 2 major defects, one there is no detail in the back, and the roof doesn't go as far as the laterals so I had to build some blind walls. That takes care of the problem of placing it in the dio, goes straight to the lateral... The other problem is, at least in my piece, when the piece was drying it dryed crooked, so it was almost impossible to glue the walls straight without breaking them.

Bellow some Italeri figures ( the bigger ones) that are still in the paiting process.US Rangers...

Detail of the markings of the Helmets of the Officer and the NCO.

More work done on the stone, several shades, somehow very laborious but I think the end result will be worth while. A couple of more painting sessions and it will be ready for a wash and a dry brush..
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 06:17 AM UTC
figures

still in progress
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi,

Good beginning.

There will be vehicles in the dio ?

redmike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
Those figures look great and so does the church. As far as scale I am 5 ft. 8in. my brother is 6ft. 7in. We look different scales and we are real people it should be fine. Sorry I dont know the metric equivilants.
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:08 PM UTC
There will be 2 or 3 vehicles, a Cargo truck a 76mm sherman, probably a willys jeep.
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC

More work done in the Church, this time on the wood parts. several filters were aplyed to make a difference in the several plancks and to evidence the details of the Door.

GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC

The Sherman is from Revell and the etched is from Eduard. It will have also an alluminium barrel of 76,2mm.

Here with the comander for HAT.
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 10:28 PM UTC

After all the filters of several shades in the stone, tilles and wood, the church got a wash in oils in sepia.

Then it was time for drybrushing in Stone Grey from Vallejo..

GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC

The stained glass was chosen and adapted to the windows of the church, wich is going to have lighting when placed on the base.

GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC

Ageing and running marks were madevwim Black pigment from GEM and Deep sea green paint from Vallejo.

That way little depos os moss are created.
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC

The final touch was the Ivy.

retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC
I really like the church with all the stones and all painted very nicely. The stained glass windows are a bit out of place as even a near miss from a bomb blast would blow in the windows , a direct hit would blow them out along with a good part of the roof. Bombs are VERY powerful. Much more than depicted in your average war pic.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 08:51 PM UTC
Great work so far! Your figure painting is excellent! You must have a very steady hand...

Cheers!
Stefan
GarageExclusivModels
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
Alfred :
you are quite right about the stainglass windows, but the objective was not to portrait a bombed out church but a neglected one. But I have to confess that I couln't resist to had them to the church.

Stefan: thank you for the kind words.

Here are a few more shots to update. New the sherman.
50 cal for the sherman. Plastic and photoetched

redmike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:02 PM UTC
Looks Great so far.
KissMeKate
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 08:16 AM UTC
that door is amazing!
Hornistfuller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 02:17 PM UTC
Wow, this is very good!
My only comment would be to say that if the church is in "neglect" the stained glass windows probably would have broken or fallen out, or have been removed by culturally conscious German authorities. The stained glassed windows, if they were left in situ, would probably be of the leaded framing type, which have a tendency to bow outward over time from the weight of the heavy framing if not properly maintained. Eventually they bow outward to the point that they fall apart at seams. Medieval style stained glass windows like these would have to be maintained and re aligned every decade or so, and this church looks abandoned longer than that.
Also, the Nazi regime was extremely proud of it's ancient Teutonic heritage, and often made significant efforts to preserve artifacts of that time, medieval stained glass windows included. More likely than not, the windows of this church would be boxed up in a warehouse somewhere so that it would be safer from the ravages of war and from the slow onset of disrepair.
another note, the stained glass window above the door looks to be of a more Russian orthodox style design than medieval German.

Sorry for the long nit-picky rant.
 _GOTOTOP