_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Now Hiring: We Need Some News Writers
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 09:27 PM UTC
The last year or so has seen a dramatic increase in New releases in every aspect - Publishing, Plastic Kits, After Market Etc. Etc.

So, with that in mind, Armorama's News Section would like to appoint at least two (three if possible!) New Writers to help deal wih the flood which is taking place.

Now, in general, i'm happy with the progress of the News Section, page views are up, and we're (more or less ) keeping up with what's happening. However, there are areas we need to improve coverage on. These are:

After Market Products - all these PE releases from companies such as Aber, Eduard, Voyager etc. etc.

Braille and Quarter-Scale - although 1/35th Scale remains the dominant area, there are some exciting things going on in both 1/72nd & 1/48th. Ideally, we'd like a more 'specialized' writer from these two scales who can spot what gets missed.

Publishing - although it's tempting to believe that no-one buys books or magazines any more, we need to dramatically increase coverage of the Publishing Houses and the specialized magazines.

So, what are the 'qualifications' ? In essence, simply the ability to publish good, clear copy. Some experience with HTML would be welcome although it's easy enough to pick-up. Some abilities at Photo-Editing would also be desirable (you wouldn't believe how 'orrible the original images that some manufactures send us ). These are skills that can be easily learned though, the most important skill set is the ability (and desire) to communicate!

'Commitment' It can be as time-consuming (or not) as you want to make it. We do ask for an (absolute) minimum of 4 published articles a month which, is not a huge burden. most of the time is taken up with 'digging' and cross-checking to find the snippets which can grow into the BIG Story.

Too Specialized? Although i've mentioned three areas which I want to increase in coverage and depth, the majority of the Reports we publish are the general 'mass-production' plastic manufacturers such as Zvezda, ICM etc. etc. etc.

But I want to be Bill 'O Riley... Sometimes it's necessary (and a lot of fun) to give a bit of editorial along with a Story. When you're reporting on the 19th German figure set announcement from DML in a week, sometimes a 'Pithy' (in the words of Mr. O'Riley) comment is just what's required. . I'd encourage people to develop their own unique style. Thats what makes it interesting for both the writers and (more importantly) those who read it.

So, if you think you've got what it takes, if you can give us the time we need and more importantly, you feel that you've got a desire to communicate with the world, then drop me an E-Mail and convince me that you'd make a real asset to the News Team.

[email protected]

Just give me a sketch of where your interests lie, any previous experience and why, you'd like to become part of News on Armorama...

Thanks, Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 11:08 PM UTC
I'd like to publicly thank the three people who've already contacted me. I've made a decision on one already and i'm weighing up the options on the other 2. I'll be mailing you later today.

Again, my thanks for the interest and i'm still waiting to hear from suitably-enthusiastic candidates!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
Bump
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 04:53 PM UTC
We are still looking for applicants for the News Department, if you would like to apply for these positions please send an email to:

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

If you applied previously to Jim Rae, please do so again to the above addresses.
Thank you!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC
Why has my admission to the contributor's forum been blocked?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why has my admission to the contributor's forum been blocked?

You need to submit a review or feature for access, you did submit a review although with no images (I did request them and still have not received them), hence it could not be published. The submitted review ran its time frame in the queue and was removed. Send the images and we'll get working on it or submit the Tankograd review (with images) and we'll publish that one.

Also, why was this posted in this thread?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
To help anyone considering asking about these positions it may help if we outline a little of what you would be needed to do. The position will require that you check manufacturer’s web pages for new releases and news worthy items on a regular basis and then write up a news report for the site. You will also be required to edit images before uploading them on to the site, and in most cases applying a watermark. The HTML knowledge that is needed is very minimal and should not tax anyone’s ability even if you have never heard of HTML before.

What takes the time with this position is the physical checks of 100s of sites checking for new releases. A news report can usually be written up and published in 10 to 20 minutes including the editing and uploading of pictures. As this is a news team position ideally people would be able to spend an hour a day or so seeking out and publishing news of releases as soon as possible after release in an effort to stay current.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 02:52 PM UTC
bump
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:40 PM UTC
Applications for this position will be accepted up until the 29/01/2012, after which a decision will be made.
 _GOTOTOP