_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
REVIEW
Trumpeter Russian BTR-50PK APC
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 07:31 AM UTC
Karl Hoy provides an in-box review of the Russian BTR-50PK APC, a recent release from Trumpeter in 1/35.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
Nice review!

I have this kit already. Although it is a pretty nice model of an intersting subject, for me it is a little expensive comparing to what I really get in the small box.

Parts count is low, but that is OK, since it is not a too complex vehicle. But they could have included at least a set of plastic track links, like with so many of their latest offerings.

And I also miss the machine gun too.

It will look great but I was a little diasappointed after opening the (quite small) box.

Cheers!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 03:16 AM UTC
I agree with you here Adam, glad you like the review aswell!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:29 AM UTC
Very exhaustive review Karl, thanks a million and congrats

Vynil tracks and vinyl tyres....

I REALLY don't know why they still continue to produce them in some of their kits
Furthermore their price have been rising up recently, so probably they should pay more attention about these details.
and the lack of MG is a HUGE flaw in my opinion

I hope they'll make plastic tracks on their T-64
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 01:24 AM UTC
Thanks Mauro!

I think vinyl tracks are okay if they are well detailed but I was disspointed to find the rather flat PT-76 tracks in this kit, I thought they could have a least made some better vinyl tracks. Thats just the way it goes sometimes!
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Guys, some brand new photos for you of BTR-50PK and PU:

http://mhrfweb.makett.org/MHRF/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=381%3Abtr50pkkec11res&Itemid=11&lang=hu

http://mhrfweb.makett.org/MHRF/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=382%3Abtr50pukec11res&Itemid=11&lang=hu

As of the prices, I think here in Hungary Trumpeter is quite cheap in general ( the problem lately is the weak Hungarian Forint).

For a complex kit like BMP-3 or T-62 or BTR-60 (not speaking about the accuracy, for now) the price is OK, these kits cost almost the same here. But paying this same price for BTR-50PK is baaaaad....

Cheers,

Adam
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
I think Trumpeter was not able to make a mould for the SGMB machine gun. It is missing here and in the BTR-40 too...
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Trumpeter was not able to make a mould for the SGMB machine gun. It is missing here and in the BTR-40 too...

I don't think so. They have LOTS of references to do it
I think they didn't make it only to reduce the mould cost...So I can't accept they sell such an expensive kit in spite of bad vinyl tracks and the lack of MG

Many thanks for your excellent walkarounds Adam
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC
I reckon they would have had enough references for the SGMB. A real pity they didn't include it. Perhaps we'll see an AM one before long?

Thanks for those pics Adam, I have a few interesting ones to post aswell, will do it once my internet connection stops messing around!
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:05 AM UTC
Just be aware you cant use the East German markings as they are for a later BTR-50PK with the lengthened nose top plate and greater angle to the hull front and increased rear hull height. The kit can only be used for an early BTR-50PK
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
Howdy Karl. Appreciate the time you took writing this one! Just getting decent photos of a new kit helps a lot.

One thing that I've been nagging about since the release of the PT-76 kits (except the B) are the lack of exhaust and details in that area of the engine deck.
Trumpeter have now fixed the exhaust but still lacks the panels around it and the radiator grill (PT-76 but it should be the same on the BTR-50 (lacks the exhaust thought)):

Perhaps Trumpy can make another version and finally get these detail right?

Cheers,
/E

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps Trumpy can make another version and finally get these detail right?

Cheers,
/E

Yes, I think they must make a later version
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be aware you cant use the East German markings as they are for a later BTR-50PK with the lengthened nose top plate and greater angle to the hull front and increased rear hull height. The kit can only be used for an early BTR-50PK

Have you got any pics or articles about those modifications?

Erik- thanks for taking a look, glad you liked the review.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
I know earlier in this thread we were talking about the SGMB and at the moment I'm building Trumpy's BTR-60P. I've just noticed, towards the end of the build, that they provide mounts for three machine guns- the DSHK on the front and two on each side about three feet behind the driver and commander's positions- these two mounts were meant to hold SGMB's- again not provided in the kit. It makes me wonder if Trumpy are going to release an SGMB set or something (the front mount could also take an SGMB).The 60P looks pretty cool with the two SGMB's mounted.

Anyway, I said I would post some reference pictures and drawings of the 50PK and other variants. I want to thank Olegas ('Berkut916') for providing the links to where some of these pictures were found (they are posted in this thread:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/184493&page=1).

Object 750:

K-78:

BTR-50PA (Not the folding ramps and extra fuel drums on the rear deck):

BTR-50PK:

BTR-50PU:

I'm currently searching around for actual pictures of the ramps on the 50PA being used and I'm looking for better info about other variants, some of which remained in use with the Red Army longer than the 50PA or PK. Feel free to post anything you guys find.

andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:27 AM UTC
Have you got any pics or articles about those modifications?

Erik- thanks for taking a look, glad you liked the review.

Hi,

The vehicle depicted in Trumpeters markings is at the Tank Museum in Munster:
See pic here:

http://www.armyrecognition.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488

There are also pics of it in the WWP book "PT-76 Family" Once you start looking closely at BTR-50 hulls you'll see the differences at the hull fronts (this is also the case for PT-76 too)

HTH
Andy
 _GOTOTOP