_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British 6 pdr conversion
csmdave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 07:12 PM UTC
has anybody converted the 6 pdr to the American 57mm?
What's involved other than removing the "flash hider", bigger tires and a longer barrel?
TIA
csmdave
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:32 PM UTC
hi it is not as simple as poeple make out , the original barrel was an old french 75 mm bored out and resleeved internally , so the end of the barrel has a flured lip , hard to describe but it gets bigger and it is opposite of the tapper , the wheel spacing was larger and inboard of the wheels there was the support rails as fitted to the 37mm antitank gun one per side, if you go to amps new zealand and look under gallery then full sized vehicles you will find my photos of a 6pdr with all these items shown it is an early american but has 6pdr parts as well , http://ampsnz.hobbyvista.com hope it helps cheers ian
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks Ian. I've got the old Tamiya kit and I've wanted for some time to convert it to a 57mm like my Dad served on in WWII. I know this is something that every modeler has to decide for themselves, how accurate do you want to be. I build mostly OOB and just for my own enjoyment. Do you think if I only did the things csmdave suggests, longer barrel, without flash, and bigger tires, I would get a reasonable looking 57mm?

_GOTOTOP