_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My Favorite Tank - A Merkava B-Log
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:03 PM UTC
OK, I want to first say that the Merkava is one of my favorite tanks and so I wanted to build a few, and decided that this would be kind of fun to do

The Plan for now is to build the Merk kits I have and go from there, so this build log will follow a few kits

1. Academy Merkava 2 with Legend's Mk 2D Conversion
2. Academy Merkava 4 LIC with Legend Stowage and ET Models details
3. Legend Merkava 3D

I have Fruil tracks for all, and will be starting with the Merkava 4 and then make my way though as items arrive in the mail

Stay Tuned for pics!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
Chandler,
I am working on a Merk IV now. I am using a similar recipe that you described for your model.

Here is a tip: visit Legends USA site http://www.legendusa.net and check out Ryan's recommendation for no skid. I tried it and it works... Minimal masking, clean up is easy and you can scrape the stuff off if it is in the wrong place. Not affiliated with Legend USA, just a guy looking for new techniques to use on my model.

John
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
Dude

I just bought some and I am practicing on an old Merk 2 kit I built years ago, I love the look and simplicity

I just got my Fruils and Merk 2D conversion, so I am starting that one first since I have all I need, still awaiting items for the Merk IV
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
The Merkava 2D is also on my to do list. Unfortunately, I have horror stories of shrinkage on the hull casting, both in length as well as width... Hopefully yours is good to go... Looking forward to some pics of your work

John
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
Im doing a Merk 2B and 3C with legends conversions. Wot a nightmare! The 2B skirts are too short and warped, the hatches don't fit because the holes have opened as the resin shrunk. The 3C/D upper hull is an abomination not just short and narrow but warped every way possible. Trying to work out a fix. Considering sending it back to legend.

Andy
NZ
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 02:15 AM UTC
I've got the Acad Merk III and the Legends IIIC conversion, waiting on Friuls, and dreading doing the ball-and-chain on the basket. After almost 30 years as a professional machanic, the last 10 doing axle work, my hands stiffen up just touching the box they're in. This one will be on hold until I finish the II on the shelf anyway.
I haven't checked the Legends skirts and turret for shrinkage or fit yet, hope all is well. I bought the set at a show, no idea on how it was stored.
I looked at the anti-slip on Legends website, I WILL try that, looks great.
I'll be watching here, for sure.
 _GOTOTOP