_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
4BO Green-how long was it used?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:10 PM UTC
The 4BO green was the WW2 color for Soviet Tanks. But how long was said color used after the war?
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 4BO green was the WW2 color for Soviet Tanks

Actually 4BO was introduced somewhere in 1939. The name itself lived until 1952 when production of 4BO paint was discontinued. But yes, even though the name stayed but color was changing.

So far nobody was able to present an actual document about wartime 4BO change. But the standards of 1947 already had a different color. It became lighter and more "yellowish".
It is possible that something was changed already in 1944 because 4BO paint mixing recipe standard from that year was different from 1942.
Otherwise my guess is as good as yours.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 4BO green was the WW2 color for Soviet Tanks

Actually 4BO was introduced somewhere in 1939. The name itself lived until 1952 when production of 4BO paint was discontinued. But yes, even though the name stayed but color was changing.

So far nobody was able to present an actual document about wartime 4BO change. But the standards of 1947 already had a different color. It became lighter and more "yellowish".
It is possible that something was changed already in 1944 because 4BO paint mixing recipe standard from that year was different from 1942.
Otherwise my guess is as good as yours.

Hi Alex
4 bo green before the war was a paint for agricultural machinery wasn't it?
Is that true or is just a "fake rumor"
If it's true, how was it possible that it had the same shade in all the Russian regions? Was it a paint produced with a specific recipe by the Soviet state ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the hijack Tom
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:37 AM UTC
I was actually wondering what the color would have been for 1950's and 1960's tanks.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, Mauro!
You know that is the first time I hear something like that. 4BO was intentionally developed as a paint color for military vehicles. There were standards that had to be followed. I know that western modelers like to paint all shades of green, and put a load of rust on soviet WWII tanks, but crews could get court-marshaled for either of those things.
Sorry for off-top.

Quoted Text

I was actually wondering what the color would have been for 1950's and 1960's tanks.

Never had much of an interest in post-war armor, but I can try to find out.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Mauro!
You know that is the first time I hear something like that. 4BO was intentionally developed as a paint color for military vehicles. There were standards that had to be followed. I know that western modelers like to paint all shades of green, and put a load of rust on soviet WWII tanks, but crews could get court-marshaled for either of those things.
Sorry for off-top.

Quoted Text

Never had much of an interest in post-war armor, but I can try to find out.

Yes Alex, I've already known the "consequences of rust" in Red army...

To be honest i don't remember when and from who I've heard for the first time the "agricultural machinery" legend. I suspected that it was a fake, now i have the confirmation, thanks a lot

4bo green is usually depicted frem the western modeller in a shade very close to "foliage green".
As far as I know actually it was more similar to Olive drab, wasn't it?

(I'm an western modeller, so quite ignorant about Russian stuff, although i like a lot them)

many thanks in advance for any replies

Cheers
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(I'm an western modeller, so quite ignorant about Russian stuff, although i like a lot them)

Hey, I am a western modeler myself now. I am actually even more westerner than you

Quoted Text

4bo green is usually depicted frem the western modeller in a shade very close to "foliage green".
As far as I know actually it was more similar to Olive drab, wasn't it?

Not as yellowish-brown as olive drab. I am not showing an image of the color because all monitors are calibrated differently (if calibrated at all...), but the spectrophotometer reading from an actual color chip was sRGB: 89, 83, 54. That is the color you might want to go for.
The original color from the trials of 1939 - sRGB: 109, 97, 62.
The color from the book of color standards 1947/48 - sRGB: 97, 85, 44. This one is way closer to an actual olive drab.

Source of information - Alexander Akanikhin & Michael Orlov.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:01 PM UTC
So, thanks a million for the codes Alex
 _GOTOTOP