_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Universal Crrier MkII, Forced Recon
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC
I've had this carrier (plus the other Tamiya offerings) in my stash and decided I wanted a quick build so I started in on it. I wanted to build the carrier as one from an HQ section for an armoured unit because I wanted to use the excellent little radio Tamiya included. I wanted something other than the standard green, so I settled on a camo scheme of green interior with a tan and black camo on on the outside. My thinking would be it would be one from war stock in the UK that got quickly diverted to Italy for that campaign and it was painted in a camo scheme in theatre. No idea what the unit markings will be yet.
I'm really not a "rivet counter" so some may nitpick that items may not be correct. However, after researching for quite a bit, I noted one thing; no two carriers are the same in configuration, accessories added or stowage. I now felt fairly safe in combining different elements from dozens of photos and saying without a shadow of a doubt that this little carrier could have existed exactly as it is.

Of course, after the assembly started I realized I needed more detail and the kits has dragged on for quite a while and is still not finished. I didn't want to blow extra $ on a PE set, so I decided to upgrade the kit using some scrap metal and plastic pieces.

I use a method that has served me fairly well in the past. I basically go on Eduard's website and download the instructions for their PE kits that they provide. I then see what they upgrade, look up the item on the real vehicle on the web, and build replacement parts out of scrap metal pieces. One of my favourite materials is the little metal cups that encase tea light candles. It is really thin and can be cut with scissors, easily pliable, and cheap!
While I love to use PE kits from various companies, buying them for every model I make isn't good financial sense. For the price of some PE upgrade sets I can by a whole new model.

For the kit, I added or replaced the following:
-"Flimsy" POL carriers rebuilt for all for corners of the fenders. I later removed the back carriers and flimsies after studying photo's showing that Carriers in Italy had mostly switched to American or german Jerry cans. i added 2 Jerry's to each back corner.
-Webbing straps and strap eyelets added to back corners
-headlight cables added to the front
-weapons support hooks/brackets added to fighting compartment sides
-new engine compartment screens
new antenna mounts
-all cabling will be added from radios, headset and antennas
-"field" made stowage shelf to front of carrier
-spare barrel brackets added below Bren gunners positon
-cut down a kit bren gun to just the barrel
-new tarp made

So, on to the model;
Main body assembled.

Rear deck. I replaced the moulded on screens (no idea what they are for) with scratchbuilt ones. They look rough, but will mostly be covered with stowage.

Center engine compartment top panel and moulded in screen:

Screen cut out, and top panel rebuilt:

Top piece and installed:
del/IMG_3172.jpg[/IMG]

Front left "Flimsy"as can holder:

Front tow cable hooks rebuilt:

Fast forward to built and priming. Used automotive red rattle can:

Kit Bren gun I wanted to cut down after noticing a spare barrel bracket below the the bren gunners opening. it would be at the gunners right knee:

Here's most of the stowage I wanted to load the carrier with:

I had some resin Bren gun Magazine boxes in the stash for years. Where eles to use them except ona Bren carrier. Superbly detailed, with one box open to show the mag's inside. Also, several spare loose magazines were in the kit.

The carrier with camo applied. I used flat black and a non'descript tan for the camo. It will change drstcially once I start weathering. The side surface may look rough, but that is because I used salt and water on certain parts that I will later scrape away to simulate chipped paint.

Interior:

Spare barrel bracket to the right of the top fire extinguisher:

I am mostly complete except for stowage painting and weathering. I would have been done already except in a final breakdown could not use the kit supplied tracks. I broke downand ordered 2 sets of tracks from Resicast....
See, if I used photoetch there would be no cash for the tracks.....

Just realzed some of the photos are out of date. The radio is only temporarily installed. After looking on the web I found the front face is actually gray. Mine has since been repainted.

I will post more pics after the tracks arrive.
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
After looking at the photos, some of the cam edges were rough, so I retouched these with the airbrush. The flimsy tins in the holders have been painted, as well as webbing straps and various other details.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Nice work so far. One thing to consider is switching out the original Tamiya Bren Guns as they are way too thick. The Brens from their Infantry set are better. Another fairly low cost option is to get a set of the Resicast Replacement tracks. They will come with repalcement drive wheels and it is both the Tamiya Tracks and drive wheel that really spoil the kit.

The Resicast tracks are 10 euro.

Gotta love carriers.

Cheers

Al
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Dave;

NICE stuff on that carrier!

I'm right with you, mate, on the approach to fixing it up - look to see what the PE kits do and history maybe shows, and head for the scrap styrene and wine-bottle tin! I'm really interested in the various bits you have added - as I'm planning a project using a carrier (that "forced recon" kit will be my starting point) captured and in German service as an airfield defense vehicle, and some of your add-ons and mods would fit right in!

PS: Those little screen jobs on that rear deck... they served, I think, to ensure that stowage piled on and tied on back there would not block the vent-holes evident beneath them.

Your running gear look pretty nice - I guess those are the kit's bits... after looking at the stuff in that new Vulcan Vickers Mk VI B kit, I'm thinking of trying to scrap up some springs to pop this part a bit. But maybe the kit parts will actually look OK. What are you going to do for the tracks? Doesn't this kit arrive with rubberbands (or did Mr. T provide something like link n length?)?

So, please keep posting - I'll be watching and learning!

Cheers!

Bob
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
Gents,
Thanks for the kind words.
I just ordered the Resicast tracks and will hopefully get them soon. If not, my Jagdtiger build will continue.
The Tamiya tracks are rubber band type, and they only have detail (wrong I may add) on the outside of the track (side that touches the ground). The inside is completely flat and void of detail.
Those are the kit suspension parts. They are fairly nice.
I checked the Resicast website and didn't see mention of the drive sprocket coming with the tracks. Hopefully they do.

I will have to see if I have that infantry set. I have a fairly large stash of accesory and figure sets and will need to dig through it to compare the Bren guns.

I will post more as time goes on.
I want to completely overload the vehicle and try and make the suspension sag so the carrier sits tail end low. Will have to see how it will work.
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
After a long Christmas break I came home to find my ResiCast Carrier tracks and drive wheel sets waiting for me. Oh glorious day!
You get several lengths of short and long track, hub details and 2 drive wheels. I ordered 2 sets and one of them came with 3 wheels. The customer service was quick, and the detail is amazing. The sets are a very nice soft resin and the lengths of track are very flexible and conform nicely around the wheel. There is a large amount of very thin and flaky flash on the parts, but this was easily removed with my home made scrub brush (tooth brush with cut down bristles) and a gentle hand...

Lots of flash can be seen. Parts are very easy to remove from the sprues.

Track comparison. Much finer detail on the ResiCast offering.

Detailed inside track. As you can see, the Resicast track has a damaged link. It won't be too noticeable when built and weathered.

Resicast and Tamiya drive wheel. Decent detail on Tamiya part, but you can see a big differance in the number of teeth.

Temorary fitting.

I'll be cleaning up the parts and preparing for install shortly.
 _GOTOTOP