JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:20 PM UTC
Does anyone here build 1/87 (HO) scale models, i.e., Minitanks, Hauler, ArsenalM, etc.?
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi Frederick; I build and collect 1/87th Armor and Soft skins. I am partial to WW2, but also work on post WW2. I am currently working on a Matilda II based on an Australian vehicle from the New Guinea campaign. This is a Trident Model - resin. In addition I am working on a A30 Challenger NW Europe campaign from Heiser Models and a Lancia Ro 3 Heaavy hauler truck Balkan theatre Heiser Models. I just recently started coming back on to the computer to this site as well as others. How about yourself?
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hello

I haven't modelled any 1/87th but have thought about it. I have seen 1/87th Panzer IVs at a model railroad store, though they look a bit basic in detail, and are quite expensive compared to a well detailed1/72 kit which is a major reason I haven't proceeded further.

Reason I'm tempted is I have a bunch of model railroad wagon in 1/87th scale of the DR (Deutsche Reichsbahn) varying types of stock the same as are seen in WW2 photographs, that would look great in a WW2 diorama. They would need work such as repacing the wheels and couplers, adding airhoses, etc and would need repainting or weathering at a minimum. They are the old PIKO brand from the former Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR). If a decent range of fairly well detailed 1/87 axis vehicles of WW2 were available I'd probably get some to make an interesting diorama.

I have tried posing 1/72 vehicles with 1/87 scale railway wagons but it doesnt look right

cheers
Korpse

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:15 AM UTC
If there were decent models at affordable prices I'd be happy, but at that scale it is really only a scenery adjunct to my trains - for "pure" armour modelling I'll stick to 1:35. I have some old Roco Minitanks for my HO railroad stuff, but they can be rather crude. As I model a northeastern railroad (the LIRR) I've leaned towards things that could be expected on a domestic transfer between bases or training grounds. I expect our Continental cousins would have even wider scope for HO stuff since their railways will have hauled tanks of all European and American types since the day the things were invented!

Tom
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Men,

Thanks for the replies--please forgive my tardy follow-up.

Yeah, Minitanks were pretty basic for a long time. Most of their "modern" models, those after mid-1980s, are pretty good. You are right, they can be pricey.

I'm trying to build up a review series on Minitanks. Here's the few I have (new and old):

http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showmaker&makerid=811

Kevin, welcome to the community! I am most interested in the SWPA and early Europe, such as 1940 through 1942. The Balkans and North Afrika--pre-super tank Tigers and Pathers--are my favorite times. I'd like to see your New Guinea Matilda. I recall seeing Matildas used on Bougainville, too. Have any photos of her yet?

I would like to try some of the Wespe models--I am still working on the 1/87 bulldozer I reviewed. Some fascinating subjects!

Korpse, 1/72 will work with British OO scale, which is 1/76. HO is, IIRC, 14% smaller. Your DR rolling stock and the modern HO vehicles afford great diorama potential.

Tom, have you any photos of your LIRR layout? I recently found out the fighter ace Francis Gabreski was CEO of LIRR for quite some time.

Here's a review of a new GAZ-69:
http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/review/7327
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi Fred,

Gabreski was indeed in office at the end of the seventies, during the "blue & white" era that I remember as a teenager.

Sadly my last layout went when my son needed the room, and I won't have room to build another until he goes off to uni. Still, that's a few years in which to save up and plan! In the meantime I've kept busy with armour. I'll see about getting snaps of some of my LIRR equipment, and look at the Railroad site for a place to put 'em.

Regards,

Tom
 _GOTOTOP