_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Reference pics of a sand color M270 MLRS
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Currently working on this model
now I came to the point of weathering & finishing. there are a lot of pics of the NATO woodland camo M270, but very little of the Desert sand colour M270.

I bet you guys have some pics of the Desert storm era M270

thank in advance!
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC
Lots of Desert Storm M270 photos in these albums:
http://www.a40deepstrike.com/desert_storm-1.html
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
Here's an ODS M270 belonging to 2d Platoon, Battery A, 13th Field Artillery (24th Infantry Division) in December 1990 :

HTH

Frenchy
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lots of Desert Storm M270 photos in these albums:
http://www.a40deepstrike.com/desert_storm-1.html

I am the owner / operator / builder of the above linked website. I began building the website three years ago for my fellow Gulf War combat Brothers from: Battery 'A' 40th Field Artillery, MLRS - 3rd Armored Division - 'Spearhead Steel.'

As the site has grown, it has been recognized as the largest, single unit website and the largest MLRS unit dedicated website on the Internet.

There are currently 1,400+ images depicting all facets of life in a modern U.S. Field Artillery unit. We also have several live, Desert Storm, combat action videos featuring my unit as well as other MLRS units.

I / we hope you enjoy our unit website!
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC
I know a lot of the guys who served with A/13 MLRS back during the Guf War!
'Steel Rain Brothers
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:38 AM UTC
thanks for the links! very helpfull! the M270 is pretty "clean"

@DeepStrike,
nice to hear! those pics will help me a lot with the finishing.
what do you think of my model so far??
the pictures at the desert storm & desert shield gallery page are the only MLRS (closeup) pictures you got? or am i missing something

I am wondering myself if there was any wheatering on the MLRS like chipped paint, oil leaks etc etc. can you give me any advise on this?
thanks!!

DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for the links! very helpfull! the M270 is pretty "clean"

@DeepStrike,
nice to hear! those pics will help me a lot with the finishing.
what do you think of my model so far??
the pictures at the desert storm & desert shield gallery page are the only MLRS (closeup) pictures you got? or am i missing something

I am wondering myself if there was any wheatering on the MLRS like chipped paint, oil leaks etc etc. can you give me any advise on this?
thanks!!

There are many close-up images of the M270 platform throughout the website, in particular: The Francois Kaserne (A/40th) galleries have many pictures of the M270 in our motor-pool during routine maintenance. You really need to go through all of the galleries to find all of the pictures. The galleries have been organized into different parts of 'our lives' at that time period.

Check out the 'history section' of the MLRS platform also, it will give some very good insight into the designing, testing and fielding of arguably the most devastating Field Artillery platform to have ever been used in combat.

As for weathering on the M270, the paint did not 'chip.' The paint was called CARC paint. It was chemical weapon contamination resistant, radar absorbing with other classified properties. The only 'chip' would come from direct metal-on-metal contact and even then, not very likely.

The only fluid leaks, which were absolutely normal, came from the left and right forward housing assemblies for the axles. (See motor-pool pictures and you will understand what I am talking about.) Any other leaks, if evident, usually occurred within the hydraulic assemblies and mechanisms of the LLM (Launcher Loader Module.) I can not go into much detail there for OPSEC reasons. I hope this helps.

PS: As for the model you are working on... outstanding! I am absolutely astounded at the level of detail portrayed in the model! Though not a model enthusiast myself, I am extremely proud that people have enough interest in 'my' Field Artillery system to want to devote so much time, resources and effort into re-creating the M270. That may also be why I have never built an M270 model.... I guess in my mind, it will never compare to my real life experiences. Just sayin...

There are a couple of M270 models etc... available through the advertiser on the right side of this webpage on my/our website:

MLRS Models

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them for you.

MLRS Videos
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are many close-up images of the M270 platform throughout the website, in particular: The Francois Kaserne (A/40th) galleries have many pictures of the M270 in our motor-pool during routine maintenance. You really need to go through all of the galleries to find all of the pictures. The galleries have been organized into different parts of 'our lives' at that time period.

Check out the 'history section' of the MLRS platform also, it will give some very good insight into the designing, testing and fielding of arguably the most devastating Field Artillery platform to have ever been used in combat.

As for weathering on the M270, the paint did not 'chip.' The paint was called CARC paint. It was chemical weapon contamination resistant, radar absorbing with other classified properties. The only 'chip' would come from direct metal-on-metal contact and even then, not very likely.

The only fluid leaks, which were absolutely normal, came from the left and right forward housing assemblies for the axles. (See motor-pool pictures and you will understand what I am talking about.) Any other leaks, if evident, usually occurred within the hydraulic assemblies and mechanisms of the LLM (Launcher Loader Module.) I can not go into much detail there for OPSEC reasons. I hope this helps.

PS: As for the model you are working on... outstanding! I am absolutely astounded at the level of detail portrayed in the model! Though not a model enthusiast myself, I am extremely proud that people have enough interest in 'my' Field Artillery system to want to devote so much time, resources and effort into re-creating the M270. That may also be why I have never built an M270 model.... I guess in my mind, it will never compare to my real life experiences. Just sayin...

There are a couple of M270 models etc... available through the advertiser on the right side of this webpage on my/our website:

MLRS Models

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them for you.

MLRS Videos

ok, thank you very much for your quick reply!
I will take time to look to many of the pics!
so if I get you right, there were almost no weathering trails on the MLRS.?

thanks for the compliments on my model! I will post some pics of the model as it is at this moment, can you please tell me if it looks realistic (weathering) or if I need to do some extras.
Are you interested in linking to eachothers site?

thanks again for your help, its a honor for me an i really like it to get help from someone like you!
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC
In the late 1980's, as fielding of the MLRS was being completed in the ETO (European Theater of Operation) and the ATACMS 'Deep Attack' versions of the platform were coming on-line (2/32 FA, MLRS - V Corps Artillery,) the only weathering I can remember would be a slight fading in the camouflage colors. This would have been due to the time spent in the field training or in Theater Wide 'war game' operations like 'REFORGER (Return of Forces to Germany) that took place every two years. This fading would be most evident on the top of the LLM and to a lesser degree on the top of the 'cab' and the sides of the LLM.

Email me with your site url and we can talk about linking sites: staff(at)40thfieldartillery(dot)org
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
@ Boris1991 - Send me your URL when you get a chance, OK.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Bill;
what brigade were you attached to?
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill;
what brigade were you attached to?

My unit, A/40th FA, MLRS was not a Brigade asset, we were 'Direct Fire Support' belonging to the 3rd Armored Division - DIVARTY (Division Artillery).

During the Gulf War, every 'Heavy Division' had a single Battery of 9 MLRS launchers to provide both Direct & Indirect Fire Support (ie. A/13th FA - 24th ID, A/21st FA - 1st CAV DIV, etc...) The 'Divisional MLRS Batterys' provided fire support for each of the 3 maneuver brigades belonging to a Heavy Division. Each maneuver brigade also had a Direct Support battalion of tube artillery assigned from Division Artillery.

The Heavy Divisions were backed up at the Corps level by Field Artillery Brigades (FAB). Each FAB contained 2 Battalions of self-propelled 8" and / or M109 Paladin tube artillery and one Battalion of MLRS (27 MLRS Launchers in a Battalion / 3 firing Batterys.)

Whole Battalions of MLRS were, at that time, only assigned to FABs or as a Corps Artillery asset.

So in short, I / we are 3rd Armored Division soldiers and we wear the 3rd Armored Division - 'Spearhead' patch on our uniforms as our combat patch.

I hope I didn't confuse you....
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:18 PM UTC
@DeepStrike,

sorry, I was on holiday for a few days.
I will send my website by mail.
you can also reach it by clicking "my models" in my signature area
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
Happy New Year from the combat veterans of the 40th Field Artillery, MLRS - 3rd Armored Division - Operation Desert Storm

http://www.a40deepstrike.com
Removed by original poster on 01/02/12 - 20:15:44 (GMT).
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
I have added a couple of new MLRS video clips to the MLRS section of our web site. http://www.a40deepstrike.com

I have a question about your MLRS model: On the front of the LLM (where the rockets leave the launcher) are the panels portrayed to be from an ablative material or made to look like titanium? The earlier versions of the M270 had a material that was only protective for about 500 launches, but the newer versions were fitted with titanium which could withstand the rocket blast/exhaust from unlimited fire missions. Just thought you might like to know...
DeepStrike
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 12:57 PM UTC
I have again added more images to the Desert Storm image gallery of our unit web site. Some of the images are VERY GRAPHIC, including the burned and mangled bodies of Iraqi soldiers as well as several pictures of a destroyed American M2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle and M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank. http://www.a40deepstrike.com/home.html
 _GOTOTOP