_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML Alamein Sherman Complete
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
Dragon 1:35 Sherman “El Alamein” (6447)
OOB, Minor scratch build
Tristar & Golden Fluid Acrylics; Vallejo Model Color; Revell Germany acrylic; Golden mediums; Gunze metalizer
AK Interactive Enamel Weathering; Micro Mark pigments

Below are some pics of my humble rendition of Dragon's El Alamein Sherman. This is my first Sherman, my first Western Allies tank and my first desert AFV. A little Dragon bashing. The instructions were hopeless. There were no diagrams of the completed model from both sides, front, rear and above. Experienced builders won't mind but lesser mortals find such things helpful. I did not like DML's decision to include the fender assembly as PE only. Bad things can happen with PE and having plastic back-up is very nice. Tasca made this kit and used styrene for the fenders: I do want to make one of their kits. That said this is a very nice kit. The fit is excellent and Dragon's detail is well displayed. At about 300 parts, this is a simple Dragon model. Although I had to amputate a link, I give DS tracks a definite thumbs up.

Personally I think “heavy weather” modelers buying up products created by the founders of the Spanish School have history in their corner. But one size does not fit all. Shermans had a tough finish and they arrived in Africa only a couple of months before Alamein. Hence I did only a little chipping, no rust except for the exhaust and no mud.

What tanks in that theater have was lots of sun, rare shade and big changes and temperature throughout the day. Those factors would have accelerated fading. And you would have had dirt by the bucket and without let-up. Even if there was no mud, grime and caked earth must accumulated on vehicles very quickly. And, although British Shermans were quite fresh, Monty was a training fanatic. Montgomery has detractors but it's hard to accuse him of sending men into battle unprepared. Despite carping from Churchill, Montgomery gave all units preparing for Alamein intensive exercises. So a tank that got to the start line at El Almein, much less one that survived it, would have been one untidy beast.

I picked a paint scheme supplied by Dragon. As understood the diagram it called for a middle stone and green camo with the two colors seperated not by white, as some units did, but by a mixture of stone and green that was feathered into the respective colors. I did everything free hand because this measure would have been soft. I sprayed the Vallejo stone and Revell base over a very dark Sepia prime. I treated both base paint in something resembling Adam Wilder's “modulation” style. The paints chosen are very good for this because water based acrylics when thinned with acrylic mediums can be sprayed heavily diluted and at very low psi. I applied the stone and green camo simultaneously. It would have been tempting to simply put middle stone over the whole model, add green, and put the racoon stripes on last. But if I did that much of the preshade would have been lost so I did each area independently. There's a pre-weathering pic below and you can get the idea. You'll note that acrylic mediums will leave a gloss or satin finish which is what I wanted. By the end of the day the weathering would dull things considerably. I did a lot of color fading with oils – a very interesting technique if a little tricky. I used some AK “streaking grime” to add to the growing mess. I finished the hull off good dose of light earth colored pigments (I like Micro Mark's brand – they are perfectly good and maybe one quarter the cost of MIG) fixed with mineral spirit. I put the tools and opened the hatches late in the game, so a little dry pigment finished the job. As noted there was only a little chipping and no rust outside the exhaust. I did use AK's fuel stain brew and it's good.

I handled the lower hull differently. Before installing the road wheels, I gave it a coat of very light dry mud. I made this with acrylic gel mixed with lava (the stuff comes in a dozen varieties including glass beads that I think might work for snow) and colored with a light earth AK enamel. The result was a kind of “earth base” and helped emulate caked dirt but not mud. Just for kicks, when I put on the road wheels I treated them to a technique recommended in Mig Jimenez's latest weathering DVD, this one dedicated to acrylics. (This is a terrific DVD. It's filled with clever technique and proves that a genius modeler like Mig Jimenez could make a great kit using color crayons.) You put acrylic thinner and matte medium on a surface, dump on a good dose of pigments and let it dry. The result is like caked earth or very dry mud. It worked very well. I gave it two more coats of pigments blended with spirits. I used Floquil Grimy Black for the tracks and gave them a good dose of pigments fixed with Tamiya A-20 thinner which acts like MIG's pigment fixer. I drybrushed the sides of the track with Gunze's spectacular burnt iron metalizer paint. (The stuff is amazing if you've never seen it. It goes on very ugly, but when you give it a buff, it's instant steel. I used it on the .50 caliber MG that was part of a Trumpeter collection of armor accessories in a sale bin. I have no idea why Dragon did not throw in a 50 caliber – almost all the photos of Brit Shermans in Africa showed them fitted. The Trumpeter part wasn't very good, but it beat nothing and it looks like steel.)

Pics Below

Eric

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:27 PM UTC
The ammo can on the machine gun should be on the other side. If you're shooting, it should be on your left.

:)

Otherwise, nicely done for a first time Sherman. Definitely try one of the Tasca models.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 05:25 PM UTC
Ah, come on, now! It's a Brit tank and we all know they drive on the other side of the road! So maybe they had some weird off-sided Ma-deuce to go along with things!! LoL Just kiddin', guys!

Eric;

Looks pretty sharp to me (aside from that little blooper on the ol' 50)! I like it a lot. Heck, if this is your first Shermie, first Allied, AND first desert thing... You're the MAN!

Turns out I can pretty well identify with the first 2! I've just started on a quick shot at one of the USMC 3rd Battalion M4A2 early Shermies used on Iwo. It'll be my first Sherman, first Allied anything, and first PTO build ever (yeah, I haven't found any reliable pics of any panzers involved in those island tiffs!... closest I can come would be a Pz 1A or maybe a SdKfz 221 or 222 in Chinese service against the Japanese...). I'll use the Dragon Tarawa kit and do a few mods. I can only hope my first x 3 will come out as nice as yours has!

Cheers!

Bob
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:13 PM UTC
Oddly, I've never fired a 50 caliber mg: not available for the Buick Century or the Honda Civic. But thankee for the tip and it is now fixed. Can't figure why Dragon didn't include one in the kit. Pics showed Brit Shermans often carrying 50s in the Med and on Fireflys. The mount was there, just no gun. Doesn't look like I have the right aerial either.

Also odd that Japan was Germany's most important ally in the long run and German weapons were more likely found in China's arsenal. (Some Japanese camo had a kind of Nordic look though.) Not sure a bucket of dust will fit a PTO tank well though. The US used only a handful of tanks in the SOPAC jungle and the Central Pacific islands had coral or a terrain a little Sicily like. No desert though. Wonder if some of the Marine buggies might not actually have been in pretty good shape. The island battles were terrible encounters in casualties per hour but none lasted more than a few weeks and unless you were on Luzon the tank probably didn't travel more than a few miles. How far could one have gone on Tarawa? Few hundred yards? When you think tanks you think Europe. But the tank/infantry team in the Pacific saved thousands of US soldiers and proved a tactical nightmare for the Japanese after 1943. Well worth a model.
Eric
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Eric,

A well sun bleached Sherman. Nice effort. There are a couple of things wrong with the tools layout out which was different on the early British Shermans.

If you have a look at the 2nd picture down of my effort, link below, you'll see the difference. Also additional items such as the Jerrycan and spare track were added as standard. DML provide an item that looks like a crowbar but which infact on British Tanks should be a pick shaft. All these are pretty easy fixes and it was common for them to hang extra kit from the railings on the side.

Reference to this one is made in Dennis Olivers 'The New Bread' Plate A 2a as a tank form 3rd RTR in October 1942.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/185801#1553377 linkname

Beware of Shermans they can be addactive

Good stuff, alwasy please to see another British Sherman.

Al
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 12:31 AM UTC
Eric,
Killer Sherman Brother! You did a great job on this one.

About the .50 Cal....I've manned one of those off and on for over twenty years. The most common feeding configuration is a left hand feed, however, by repositioning some of the weapons components it can be set up for right hand feed as you originally built it!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
Eric;

About the German stuff and the Chinese... It was one of those odd pre-war things... Like with the Spanish civil war, the Germans sold a smattering of stuff to folks who were fighting against those other Godless, types, those nasty Commies. In Spain, it was Condor Legion and support for Franco and his Nationalists. In China, it was support to "shanker jack" (Chiang Kai-Sheck, if I have the phonemes near right) and his Nationalists against Mao and the reds. This also morphed into, weird as it sounds, supporting the Chinese against the Japanese! But this was before Germany and Japan were allies. German support to the Chinese Nationalists ended ca 1938 as Japan aligned itself with Germany and requested of Hitler to please stop selling arms to their now-mutual enemy!

USMC in the PTO had relatively few tanks, and those were mostly the stuff not issued to the Army. I agree with all when we think "tank" in WWII we think Europe and north Africa. But the tank-infantry team worked well on those islands. And, yeah, I'll bet those were mostly low-mileage rides, at least in-theatre! As much of the Corps armor was the older-issue stuff, it's possible to build a late-war Iwo tank using an earlier-war Tarawa kit!

Bob
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC
They broke some kind of mold with the USMC. I talked with a lot of Marine vets for my work and was amazed by the "once a Marine...." way of looking at the world. (Might add the 1st Marine Division Association was a huge help in my research: they take their heritage very seriously even if it "only" goes back to 1942.) They seemed almost to glory in the "we use cast-offs" image. Marine pilots in the Solomons were positive that the only reason they got good airplanes (Corsairs) was that the Navy couldn't figure out how to use them on CVs. Of course there was always the Army to blame. It was Army intrigue that kept the Corps from bringing M1s to Guadalcanal. (Actually they were already getting them, although some of the first wave did have Springfields.) And if they had old tanks it was Army. Of course, the Navy was supposed to see to their needs so if Marines fought with hand me downs, they pointed the finger in the wrong direction. It's not that they seemed to have any love for the Navy: quite the opposite. Didn't always make sense, especially when you figured that Marines, whatever the image, were actually pretty sharp guys led by some very sharp officers. But Marines seemed to make sense to each other and that's what really counted.
Eric
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
First off, way to go! I like the "buckets of dust", it really blends the hard edge camo. Almost makes me wish I was a shermi guy rather than a panzer one. It looks great, but I am not sure that the 50 would be metallic. Looking at most photos, they appear to be black or steel blue. This is a common mistake and one I only learned a few months ago. But, if this is your first, I have high expectations of your second.
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 01:09 PM UTC
You might be right about the MGs. But I don't want to hear about it. The instructions called for "steel" and I gave it to them. It's true that most of the many mgs I've seen have been some kind of dull black. And I suppose a dirty gun was a dirty dull black . War is the enemy of art. But the metalizer paint is too neat not to use when given any chance. So I saw the opportunity and I took it. (I've never shot a machine gun. Supposedly there are places around the country where they'll let you rent them for a goodly price. I could think of a chemistry teacher I had and pull the trigger. Sweet.)
Eric
 _GOTOTOP