_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Legend IDF PUMA
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi all,

May I present the current state of my Puma build....

Next up will be painting the tracks and running gear then onto fitting the skirts.

Hopefully a Down hill ride from here, please enjoy the pics.

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Well done how did you do the texture on the front can't wait to see this one with paint
Dave
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hello Ryan,
it looks really great. Did you face any fit issue with the conversion upper hull on the AFV lower hull?

Olivier
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Very nice so far... David, check out the website in Ryan's signature line and you'll find "tips and tricks" page where Ryan describes the way he does IDF anti-slip. Very cool and super realistic effect!

Mario
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 05:14 AM UTC
Nice work Ryan! I have this kit in the stash, threw it together rather badly a few years back so ripped it apart to start work on it again. Its certainly a bit of a pig!

One thing-shouldnt the commanders hatch have a dome on it? Its my understanding only the initial production Puma has the flat hatch as depicted here.
BLACKWATER
Visit this Community
Yunnan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Wow nice work, I will pay close attention to its progress.
Thanks to share

Blackwater
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Ryan,
it looks really great. Did you face any fit issue with the conversion upper hull on the AFV lower hull?

Olivier

Olivier,

Probably a full kit. The Legend Puma I have is a full kit anyway, don't know if they did a conversion as well?

Cheers,

Christophe
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello Ryan,

Olivier

Olivier,

Probably a full kit. The Legend Puma I have is a full kit anyway, don't know if they did a conversion as well?

Cheers,

Christophe

Yes Olivier, Christophe is correct it is a full resin kit and not a conversion. At first I thought it was based on the AFV Club kit, but I was wrong, it appears the Tamiya kit may have been used when the masters were made. The Puma kit is pretty old (10 years +/-) and not many references were easy to come by back then so there are a few dimensional errors....but it looks like a Puma!

I used the AFV club Centurion for cetain details, such as the final drive casing, sprockets and idlers. I'll also rob the headlights, tool kit, etc.

To date the folowing kits have been used to complete the model...along with some scratchbuilt details.

Legend PUMA kit
Legend KMT Mine Roller Adapter
Legend Centurion Road Wheels (Kit wheels were undersized)
Legend FN Mag set (Better than kits Mags)
AFV Club Centurion
AFV Club Tracks (Easier to work with than kit supplied tracks)

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Ryan! I have this kit in the stash, threw it together rather badly a few years back so ripped it apart to start work on it again. Its certainly a bit of a pig!

One thing-shouldnt the commanders hatch have a dome on it? Its my understanding only the initial production Puma has the flat hatch as depicted here.

Your far too modest Rob, I can't tell you how mant times I refered to your build when I was building mine!

Your pepper trick for non-slip was neat, but I opted for the Liquitex method instead.

Sorry you ripped it apart, it looked good.

Not sure on the domed hatch, I will check out Dr. Manesherob's new Puma book to see if I need to add it. The book is great, wish I had it when I started this thing.

At best i'd say my model represents an early Puma.

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done how did you do the texture on the front can't wait to see this one with paint
Dave

Dave the technique is described on my site here...along with a couple of other ones.

http://www.legendusa.net/tips-and-tricks/

@ Mario, Thanks!
@ Blackwater, Thanks!

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 02:19 PM UTC
Cool ride, Batman!
I recently scored the Legends Merk IIIC conversion and the Acad kit at a show, gonna use your anti-slip techniquie (Liquitex) for the non-slid, looking forward to it. Looking for the Friuls now.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers Christophe and Ryan.
I hope AFV Club will extend their range of IDF Centurion based vehicles. I love their aggressive look.

Olivier
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:53 PM UTC
Ryan, nice work.
It's always good for some one like me to see work like this as I'm mainly a aircraft modeller but do have a soft spot for any Centurion and this kit is in the stash along with the Legend IDF Cent Shot Kal Dalet and Gimel conversions plus I just picked up the new IDF centurion Vol.1 and Puma books by Dr.R Manesherob, great ref works.
Now to get the other IDF Centurion based vehicles, bite the bullet and build them.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:05 PM UTC
Ryan you make a good job

I have build one Puma w/ Carpet and Nochri Dalet some time ago

And have this one,
Puma Batash w/doghouse in project :

pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope AFV Club will extend their range of IDF Centurion based vehicles. I love their aggressive look.

Olivier

For sure Olivier, but the Puma, if based on Centurion tank, has a different Merkava suspension system !
BLACKWATER
Visit this Community
Yunnan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Olivier

For sure Olivier, but the Puma, if based on Centurion tank, has a different Merkava suspension system !

Very happy so many people like Centurion tank series, maybe I should continue my work.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know Pascal and this is why I won't hold my breath waiting for such kits from AFV Club.
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Thanks all for the comments!

@ Russel, Hope you find the non-slip technique easy!

@ Olivier, It would nice if this was a conversion set for the AFV club kit it would be much less of a headache!

@ Luciano, Watchout I was an aircraft modeler until I got the armor bug....you may never return!

@ Pascal, Your Puma with carpet is awesome, I came across it while I was researching my build....and your building ANOTHER variant based on this kit, impressive!

@ Blackwater, That work is just beyond words, very impressive!

Ryan

www.legendusa.net

The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hello guys, still sticking on parts!

First up is the rear basket with a modified Legend stretcher bundle, kit bashed mallet, and scratched mine shoe boxes. The kit comes with a couple of mine shoe boxes, but reference shots show many more piled on! I made them from laminated sheet.

Second series of pics reveal more work done to the rear, including the addition of the spare water (?)cans and detail added to the mud flaps. I had some nice etched reflectors for the flaps, but lost one....so out came the punch set! The straps on the cans are lead foil with kit supplied buckles. The final detail I added was a old tool box from a Italeri set (behind the cans, in dark green).

That's it for now, thanks for checking it out.

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 07:09 PM UTC
It's still looking good Ryan ! The build is really clean, I'm impressed by the basket. I guess you soldered it. Is there any kind of jig or template in the kit?

Olivier
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 07:31 PM UTC
@Olivier, yes there is a template for bending the brass rods

@ Ryan good job, but the rear right fender looks like this :

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:38 PM UTC
Beautiful build Ryan. Modern or IDF is not really my thing, but build quality is always appreciated no matter what the era is. Some great details added to this, especially the basket. Very clean building overall.
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thanks gentlemen, glad you like it.

@Olivier: Yes the kit came with a jig, but I made a homemade one to achieve the result seen in the pics. here is the article I wrote on building the jig http://www.legendusa.net/2011/11/05/idf-puma-rear-basket-jig/, it was a one off use for this machine, but the idea could be used for other builds. Oh and I super glued it, I'm new to soldering PE.

@Pascal: Good pic on that area, I think you are trying to show me the heat shield mounted over the rear cans? Your pic, I think, shows a late PUMA that has this feature as well as the exhaust deflector on the other side. At best my build is of an early model without that feature. Not 100% sure of that fact, but I've seen pcs of this area with and without. I'll probably add the exhaust deflector just for fun.

@Frank: Thanks for checking in, the comment is much appreciated!

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:14 PM UTC
Yes you are right, looking more seriously in my reference pics I see early pumas without jerry can protection.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC
Very nice build so far... I like the basket, very clean job you did there. I'm interested in mine shoes; I'll have to Google that a bit. How are the mine shoe boxes secured to the vehicle?

Mario
 _GOTOTOP