_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Firestorm Upcoming Figure Release
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC
Firestorm are releasing three new figures in the new year which should appeal to those with an interest in the Vietnam War. These three new resin figures look to have a lot going for them especially the man with the camera.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
These figures look pretty decent. I look forward to some of their other 2012 releases, especially the Lambretta Lambro 500 they have listed on the website. It is good to see some figures of Australian Soldiers. The photographer could be of any nationality as several wore US Jungle Fatigues because they were so easy to acquire. I see one problem with the photographer figure, though. He lacks a cargo pocket on the right leg. Perhaps that will be added prior to production. If not, it is easy enough to add with some putty.

Cheers,
James
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC
Good figures. I like the driver- with a little work he could be any nationality.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The photographer could be of any nationality as several wore US Jungle Fatigues because they were so easy to acquire. I see one problem with the photographer figure, though. He lacks a cargo pocket on the right leg.

Jeez, you Seppos, everything's about you...
Given that the Firestorm figures are produced in Australia, there is good reason to suppose the 'correspondent' figure is meant to represent an Aussie journalist, of which there were many in SVN.
A close examination of the pictures of the figure shows that the 'fatigue' jacket is not a US type, and probably meant to represent the old 'bush jacket' type of garment - these later morphed into the polyester Safari Suit of the early 70s, nice...
These bush jackets were popular items either brought over from Australia (ex-military) or made by tailors somewhere in SE Asia - given that many reporters may have cycled through other Commonwealth countries where there was both an Australian presence and a British influence on private purchase jungle clothing (eg, Singapore, Malaysia), this is not an unreasonable assumption to make.
Look at the pocket detail and the epaulettes.
As to the trousers, these represent the Aussie Jungle Green trousers, now refered to by collectors as 'early' or 'first' pattern - modelled after Battledress trousers, these had one large pocket on the left thigh; the later style had one pocket per thigh and were of a slightly different cut.
If that's too much analysis for a 1/35th scale figure, well, too bad - I think Firestorm are to be congratulated for going the extra distance to make this figure that bit different.

regards
acav
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 02:36 PM UTC
Nice figures, but the boots!!!!
Come on Dave, why not the issue GP Boot mate?
Yes we did use the US Jungle Boot, but only on occasions when the Aussie's could beg, borrow, trade or steal them. Hard to get a none issue boot on a resup after your boots rot off your feet.
Australian GP Boot
Apart from that, very nice. I will be getting a couple.

Jason
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hi folks,

It's worth pointing out here that if you're looking for these products at Firestorm you'll need to look under the Callsign Label, not the Firestorm Brand

Cheers

Al
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC
the reality of a good Coral/Balmoral diorama edges slowly closer...

good figure set - maybe he will issue a gp boot set separately ? Pat The seated figure isnt a driver (although a few crew comms can drive ya mad), as listed its the apc commander figure, and its great to finally see one sitting up top in the most readily identifiable part of an aussie apc - the t50 turret! this opens up possibilites way past 68, right up to about 86/87 from memory. Cant tell if he has a watch on or rank patch right sleeve (I think even brassard were order of the day ? ) have to check references on that one.. be great if he came with an F1 smg... or 9mm

the standing (and traditional tamiya like pointing pose) figure looks to have lots potential for arm swap outs to make at least 2 and possibly 3 versions with bits from the spares box. slr looks nice but flash suppressor could be fun to enhance..

The camera guy is a good generic figure - maybe steal his boots? lol ..

great figure set.. definitely a few sets headed for my stash..

nice.

Adam
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC
Cool looking figures! The photographer could be very useful in variety of scenarios...

Quoted Text

It's worth pointing out here that if you're looking for these products at Firestorm you'll need to look under the Callsign Label, not the Firestorm Brand

Thanks for the info Al. What exactly is the Callsign connection to Firestorm? Is it their own figure label or completely new entity?

Mario
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Mario,

As far as I know it's simply a brand, David from Firestorm could clarify that as it may be a separate enterprise with which he's involved and therefore needed to keep it separate from the Firestorm brand he already does.

Just my thoughts.

Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 01:56 PM UTC
Very welcome releases but Dave, can you do something about the boots and the SLR. The boots on all of these represent US style Jungle boots and not the almost universal Aussie GP boot. The SLR represents neither of the Aussie types as it has the late British type laminate foreguard.
The Aussie ones with the elongated slots were triangular in cross section and all wood outer with a cutout for the Sights and the Gas Regulator. The Later Aussie Laminate one had a Oval cross section Wood with three small circular holes and stamped metal under the Foresight/regulator.
Regardless they are very welcome sets
AL
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 02:13 PM UTC
Not sure how you spot the difference on the L1A1 there Al, the ones I bought from Firestorm awhile ago look pretty right for an early pattern forestock. Although subtle they are triangular-ish.

100% agree on the boots though, GP's were more the norm.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeez, you Seppos, everything's about you...
Given that the Firestorm figures are produced in Australia, there is good reason to suppose the 'correspondent' figure is meant to represent an Aussie journalist, of which there were many in SVN.
A close examination of the pictures of the figure shows that the 'fatigue' jacket is not a US type, and probably meant to represent the old 'bush jacket' type of garment - these later morphed into the polyester Safari Suit of the early 70s, nice...
These bush jackets were popular items either brought over from Australia (ex-military) or made by tailors somewhere in SE Asia - given that many reporters may have cycled through other Commonwealth countries where there was both an Australian presence and a British influence on private purchase jungle clothing (eg, Singapore, Malaysia), this is not an unreasonable assumption to make.
Look at the pocket detail and the epaulettes.
As to the trousers, these represent the Aussie Jungle Green trousers, now refered to by collectors as 'early' or 'first' pattern - modelled after Battledress trousers, these had one large pocket on the left thigh; the later style had one pocket per thigh and were of a slightly different cut.
If that's too much analysis for a 1/35th scale figure, well, too bad - I think Firestorm are to be congratulated for going the extra distance to make this figure that bit different.

regards
acav

Hey man, there is no need for derrogatory terms (I do know that Seppo is a derogatory term directed at Americans). This is a hobby site and I was making an observation from what I saw. I do realize that Firestorm/Callsign is an Australian company and that their releases represent primarily Australian subject matter. My comment about the photographer being of any nationality is based on a book I have about civilian journalists and photographers in Vietnam. Many of those who were not American were photographed wearing primarily American uniform items, thus the inclination to believe that the figure was clad in US Jungle Fatigues.

I appreciate the explanation about the bush jacket and Aussie Jungle Green trousers, and it is awesome if that is what was intended as details such as that are refreshing in this hobby.

When I look at this figure, which I have looked closely at, I see slanted breast pockets which led me to believe that it may be a US 2d Pattern Jungle Fatigue shirt with epaulets. Most bush type jackets I have seen had straight pockets and bellows with the folds on the outsides. The reason I figured the trousers were US is the bellows of the leg pocket that are visible in the photo. They appear to match the US style cargo pocket. I do not recall any other country's uniforms of that time period having that kind of construction, but I amy be wrong.

I think Firestorm/Callsign are doing a good job with their figures and the items they chose to release in 2012. I look forward to their releases and hope to build many of them.

Cheers,
James
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi James,

happy new year to you and to all other here.

Really great Figures and i like a lot the Photographer and the Infantry soldier. What i have seen at their website is really Interesting for future releases like the head sets or conversion set. The only diapointment for me are the boots which Firestorm use for every Australian Figure. It would great too see Figures with right GP boots. On these pictures these US boots looks good in Detail which is not so great done by the older Figures i have.

BTW i think it was not James intention to irritate someone but to say only what he has seen at pictures or what he thought. I thougt the same with the pockets as i saw them first. So if someone want to use this photographer with more US style trousers or to convert this Figure in an US Soldier like i wantet to do only add another pocket and thats all. Otherwise we get an very fine looking Australian Photographer. So there is no need of using slang terms for someone here in the Forum. seppos' or 'septic tanks are a rhyming slang for "yank" or better for a person who is Citizens of the USA. It´s the same when someone call us Germans krauts. Its deprecative about the person.

So cool down guys and have fun here with our hobby.

Greetings

Stefan
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hello Stefan!

Happy New Year to you, too. It looks like it will be an excellent year for the Vietnam era modeler with the releases from Firestorm/Callsign, Bravo 6, and MasterBox!

The Firestorm/Callsign releases will open up new possibilities for modelers to build diorama's of the Australian Vietnam experience.

How are your SASR and LRRP figures coming along?

Take care and have a great day.

Cheers,
James
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi James,

thank´s a lot, yes 2012 will be a great year for NAM Modelers. Bravo-6 will start some great new Figure sets in this year (grunts, SOG etc.). My SASR Figures are growing ;-). I have convert some others and have wait for the new NAM Masterbox Figures to get the rucksackframes so i can now finish them. Hope to see some of your great work in the future James (Figures, Dioramas). Have seen that there will be an restart at Moderlers Alliance of the great Charlie don´t surf campaign redux. Great news.

See you and have a nice day

Stefan
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(I do know that Seppo is a derogatory term directed at Americans).

Just as a side point, it isn't.

Us calling you guys Seppos is a term of endearment, a bit like you calling us Aussies. It's an Australian thing and a thing that sometimes people don't fully understand. We don't call German people Krauts, that IS and American thing.

I always think back to a famous incident involving Douglas Jardine, a controversial English cricket captain who once went to the Australian dressing room to demand an apology from one of the Aussie team for calling him a "Bastard". The man who answered his knock on the door turned to the rest of the team and said "Hey ! Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

But really at the end of the day the nationality of the journalist is pretty much irrelevant, just good to see some interesting figures being made that aren't the standard Waffen SS "soldier shooting" type pose.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 12:15 PM UTC
Scott,

Thanks for clearing that misunderstanding up. I had heard the term used in a derrogatory manner in the past, so I assumed that this may have been the case as well. I see your point as you illustrated in your examples.

And you are right about it being good to see something new and interesting offered in terms of figures other than the standard German shooting or even the pointing poses.

Cheers,
James
Firestorm
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 09:15 PM UTC
I have just finished the GP boots they will be on the finished product except for the war correspondant figure. three more figures should be finished by tomorrow afternoon i will post more pics soon. I am having trouble with the baskets for the Vietnamese woman, its hard to weave something that small but I am getting there!
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
nice. very very nice.

Any chance the boots being marketed separately ?

Adam
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:37 PM UTC
I've built several Firestorm figures in the past and really like them. These look very nice as well. They look to be easily adaptable to limitless applications.
 _GOTOTOP