_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British ARV ??
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:06 AM UTC
OK..I'm building an AS-90 , and have been looking for a supply vehicle for it. The Paladin uses a resupply vehicle , the K-9 has the K-10..but no info about an ARV for the AS-90. Does it use one?

Thanks for any info

Jeff
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
Jeff,
I'm guessing you need to look for an un-armoured vehicle to re-supply an AS-90.
something like a Foden or MAN truck.
Try here (the Accurate Armour website)
http://www.accurate-armour.com/aaproducts.cfm?navlevel=1
Also you used the term ARV in your post. I would interpret that as Armo(u)red Recovery Vehicle nothing to do with re-supply.
Happy Modelling
Tom
barnsley5000
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
i belive u mean an artillery re-supply vehicle
like this...
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=14&subcategory=234&product=2230
designed to do off road re supplys to the 155mm as90 batterys in the far east aswell as other logistic taks
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Here's an Iraq picture showing the ammo pallets on a Flatrack behind the AS90 :

Frenchy
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 12:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the info..you guys are great! I was surprised the AS90 is resupplied by a truck, but seems much better for logistics.

Frenchy- nice pic of the reloading pallets. Crew must keep very busy during a firing mission!!
barnsley5000
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:25 PM UTC
[quote]Thanks for the info..you guys are great! I was surprised the AS90 is resupplied by a truck, but seems much better for logistics.

Frenchy- nice pic of the reloading pallets. Crew must keep very busy during a firing mission!![/quote

well ye it make overall logistics easier if the battery can be resupllied by universally used vehicles and not just a different vehicle for a different wepaon... plus wheeled trucks are better for some uses then tracked carriers
and ye they use a pallet full of ammo so that then a mass of rounds can be deployed quickly and can be fitted on the truck, accurate armour produce a good one...
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=279&product=2222
they also stock updates for both the 39 cal and the 53 cal systems, aswell as loads of stowage and a set of 155mm rounds

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:45 PM UTC
Being an artillery officer, I might clear you up a bit about the (re)supply of tanks and guns.
The European armies prefer trucks to reload for many reasons. The costs of trucks are considerably lower, both in use as in purchase. The last has always been an issue for European govs, but certainly will become an issue for the USA as well. Just see how the development of the wheeled AFV such as e.g. the Centauro, the M117 and the Boxer etc. is speeding up.
Next to that, the shipment in case of missions is much easier as well. Also, our civilian environment does not allow the frequent use of heavy tracked vehicles in case training is done outside the regular army grounds. Furthermore, the speed of today's trucks in more or less off road conditions has been improved considerably over the years as well. Also, the modern hydraulics on trucks allow the use of palletized systems, which are mostly much faster than the armoured vehicles. Last but not least, the area of operation of modern artillery systems is thus that armored resupply vehicles are only seldom required.
Thus: in Europe, where calculating tradesmen are having a big power in political decision making, the soldier has to accept cheaper and more common solutions, even for his tools of defense!

Have a happy New Year's eve!
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Paul- very good feedback about the wheeled vehicle reloading, I never thought about it! The US sure seems to use specialized equipment for tiny tasks!!

I might try the AA truck eventually!
barnsley5000
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
the foden i posted really is a great build, great detailing, looks great with the flat bed packed with shells and some ration box's packed on side for good measure, looks great behind any of the as90's out there. especially with aa upgrade/update set....
rounds complete
 _GOTOTOP