_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Half track identity help
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Guys I am wondering if you can help I have managed to get some photos of IDF halftracks and I think one has been incorrectly labelled. The first pictures i have posted look like either an M2 or an M3 with fuel tanks on the back and is at Latrun but it has been labelled as an m5, it doesnt have the rounded corners like the Little field M5 am I correct or did some M5 come out with squared corners like the M2 and the M3

http://svsm.org/gallery/m5_halftrack/SG204864
http://svsm.org/gallery/m5_halftrack/SG204850

This is the Littlefield M5
http://svsm.org/gallery/M5Israeli/IMGP2929
http://svsm.org/gallery/M5Israeli/IMGP2938

Sorrry for asking i am brand new to halftacks and like anything IDF they can confuse the issue hahahaha. TIA
25PDRFG
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
Front wheel arches are M2-M3 M5 were flat I think the front axle should be banjo type as well but dont Quote me
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:30 AM UTC
I was thinking the same thing with the fornt fenders as well as the flat corner of the rear hull being the same as M2/M3.... I am just uncertain becuase I know the halftrack was produced by various companies and wasnt sure if there was standardised production between all factories
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC
The Latrun half-track should be labeled as a M3. All M2/M3 types had the squared off rear corners while M5/M9's had rounded corners.

BTW, the Littlefield M5 is a fun beast to drive!

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
IIRC, M2 & M3 half-tracks were built by Autocar, Diamond T, and White. The M5 & M9 were built by International Harvester.

HTH

Frenchy
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
Gentleman thank you have confirmed what i though was correct but doubted myself due to lack of knowdlege plus i didnt want to build an incorrect model as well. Now i am off to find an M5 conversion for the dragon M3a1 but from what i have seen the MHEAST one is the only one available and looks really rough mind you i dont mind the AEF M3 conversion quite nice indeed might get one or two I think
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi

The first photo is an Israeli modified M2 and the second is an Israeli modified M5/M9.

Both have recieved the desiel engine upgrades, which will involve altering the dash board, fitting big air filter inside front right and modifying the fenders with bulges for the twin exhausts plus of course the insides will be totally different to the kits.

AEF is out of business, ive found their kits ok but some of the halftrack versions are incorrect , there is an M3 with external fuel tanks which i believe didnt exist only fitted to m2's to give more internal room. KI-87 is probably usable for a pre desiel upgrade ht.

The mousehouse m5 conversions are not bad, got a couple but havent built them yet, again the fuel tanks and seats are already molded and not really correct for an israeli ht. except for very early ones before they started to modify upgrade them.

Early Israeli hts can be made but if you want a 67/73 or even later then some conversion scratch work will be required which ever way you go.

Peter
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
I now have Toms books on the halftrack from what I am reading the m5 and m9 were used primarily from 48 to the 50s unmodified as seen in WW2 when the M2 and the M3 were procurred these saw some service unmodifed from WW2 before they were modifed with the addtion of a pedastil instead of the pulpit on some M3 MARK B's and a rear door on the M2 these started to see service. Then from the 60,s onwards the external fuel tanks on the M2 were started and the pedastil on the floor replaced the pulpit seen on the M3a2, a3 M5a2 designated the MARK B and the addition of a front visor mounted 30 cal machine gun seen on the MARK A were introduced does this sound correct so far
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi

If you have Tom Gannons halftrack books then you are good to go for info with just about any version you want.
Iam probably going to use the AEF recovery ht kit for the support/recovery campaign, will need a bit of modifying wont correct everything but should look ok.
Good luck with your ht build but IDF hts can become a bit addictive once you get started. So many types to choose from.
Peter
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 05:48 PM UTC
Yes thanks mate i have both books thankfully and yes you are correct they are addictivei found that out with the shermans hahaha
 _GOTOTOP