Hosted by Darren Baker
MB Wolf WIP (Revell+Black Dog)
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC
hey everyone,
just wanted to show you'll what I got myself for chrismas:

'till now I gotta say I'm quite pleased with the results... took me two days to assemble the whole kit and another day to fully paint it (just base color and camo, the black dog set ain't easy to paint properly...flecktarn is even more difficult that marpat or acu patterns) the revell kit was suprisingly easy to build, bout everything fits nice and one can really see they've put some thought in this kit... I'm really looking forward to their Puma and Leo 2a6m kits...
the black dog set is more kinda so-so... broken molds, warpage, imprudently placed casting plugs (some parts needed serious rework since I couldn't remove the casting plugs without breaking off details...) also some of the drape detail seemed a little exaggerated. other than that some of the tarps and esp. the top canvas cover look quite nice...
I'm not building any particular vehicle, just some OOB (as much as I can ) painting practice...
so this is where I'm at now...

Cheers, Max

P.S. excuse the heavy contrast in the pics but I got carried away while editing the pics
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Nice work Max !

I'm still waiting (longing ?) for a hypothetical release of the long wheelbase variant (even though I already have Azimut conversion set in the stash ).

Frenchy
Citizinsane
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 01:52 AM UTC
thanks Frenchy,
yeah, the long wheel base would be great I've been tinkering with the idea to build this one as a dutch or usmc version 'till I found out the short wheel base pretty much cut down my options... the azimut set looks quite nice, doesn't leave you with too much plastic anyway, somehow scary...

Cheers
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
Heh Max !

Look nice ... something else for a change.
Gonna dust it ?

Cheers
Christopher
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hey, I wanted that Blackdog set! I got rid of my R-G "Wolf" kit though.

Thanks for the WIP and review. I greatly appreciate your info in answering my "What if I kept that kit for this kit?" pondering.

Azimut makes the USMC IFAV resin kit. I even have photos of it. Thing is Azimut never replied to my emails on if I could post the photos or buy the build mockup from them. Sooooo-ooooohhhh....???
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
that looks great! Going to have to add that to my want list
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
Nice looking build, Max.. I've got that BlackDog set on my to-get list.

Frenchy... did you buy the Azimut conversion set straight from them. I tried asking them if they ship to Egypt and I ended up getting a reply over a month later saying they do, but I'm a little hesitant.. do you think I should go ahead and order it from them?

Hisham
redski9316
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC
good work!! i bought my black dog kit at the IPMS nationals in Nov, the only issue is, the'res not much of a pianting and assembly guide, i tend not to do much resin, but i'd thought i'd spoil myself...mines in a WIP at the moment,again good work!!!!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
HI Hisham

Yes I've got the set from them directly. Of course things may be easier when you live in the same country. But I've read complaints about their service to foreign customers (and even to French ones sometimes as well...). The problem is that there are not many other options to get their stuff

You can try Great Model Webstore (I guess it should be a bit more expensive there) :
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=AZP35170

HTH

Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hey, Frenchy... thanks a lot.. I didn't know Great Models carries their stuff. The set is $10 more at GM.. but I've tried them and I always get the package between 2 to 3 weeks. Maybe it's better to pay a little more for the guarantee of actually getting it

Hisham
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
I agree Hisham :"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Frenchy
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
Max, that's a beauty! Nice and busy with detail.
Frenchy, thanks for all the research! I have my Revell-Germany Wolf, and I'm set to embark on a USMC IFAV conversion soon for the Marines Campaign here. In checking back to old posts, it seems that someone begins this conversion every January for the past couple years. I spent 15 US dollars on the kit, but I won't spend another $50 on the Azimut resin. I figure I'll make a "looks about right" conversion from styrene and go from there, since no two IFAV's look alike, and it will be loaded with stuff.
Nice work all around! Thanks!
-Sean H.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
That looks great Max! I've done the Wolf OOB and it is a great kit but the BD set really makes it look busy....
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 12:37 PM UTC
Looks good Max....
Citizinsane
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 01:04 AM UTC
Thank you guys,

Chris,
yeah I'm gonna dust it like hell think I'll try the AK interactive products together with some pigments here, let's see if I'll find some time later today...

Paul,
pay attention when removing the casting plugs from the two stowage boards, when I tried sawing 'em they immediately broke off taking some of the details with 'em so I had to rebuild half of the lower portion of both parts... same goes for the MG mount which I built completely from scratch...
you might also wanna get a replacement MG3, the one included in the kit is quite chunky...

Sean (H.),
looking forward to seeing your IFAV! as I said above I wanted to build one myself but... well... I'm a lazy person...

Cheers, Max
redski9316
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 02:07 AM UTC
Thanks Max, i'll take note of that when i start my build, nice one
Citizinsane
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
well, it's almost done!
I actually finished this one a while ago, but as I couldn't figure out how the MG3 has to be attached it'll propably take me some more time to finally finish.I talked with some BW experts and they told me that the weapon can't be attached to a mount like this with the usual cradles used by the BW...
so here's what it looks like right now:

hope you'll like it
Cheers, Max
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
Cool ! With colors, the stowage and the cover are very nice.

What colors did you use for the Flecktarn Desert camouflage of the bag on the left side, please ?
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:19 PM UTC
Looks great Max!
Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:33 AM UTC
Very nice and realistic weathering! Great work!
When you find what is wrong with MG attachment please share this information with us. I'm considering this kit + Black Dog conversion for one of my future builds.
Citizinsane
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
thank you guys!

Alex,
I fear I can't give you any exact ratios as I usually mix my colors 'freehand' but I've used a mix of vallejo's 70819 iraqi sand, 70976 buff lightened with either white or 70918 ivory for the sand color,
70872 chocolate brown (and propably one of the above sand tones to slightly lighten it) for the brown and either lifecolor's UA077 german fieldgrey or UA002 green for the green (maybe I even used both)...
well, I hope that'll help you..

Jaroslaw,
well, as I said above the standard issue MG3 cradle can't be attached to a u-shaped attachment bracket... still haven't found out what the guys used instead. anyway, there still are some BW guys who might know I haven't asked yet.. looking forward to seeing some more wolf's 'round here

Cheers, Max
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi Max,

I too am considering this Black Dog set. Now is this a German Special Operations conversion, or is the Black Dog set an accessory add-on to regular German Army Wolfs? I always thought it was a Spec Ops conversion set. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP