_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 starfish roadwheels with reinforced hub?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi there T-55 experts,
I have noticed that some replacement sets (1/35 scale)
for T-55 road wheels contain a few with reinforced hubs.
I have failed to figure out why/when/where these should be used. When where they introduced on the real tanks?
Which nations used them? Which road wheel stations are concerned? How big is the difference? Do I need to worry
about this or can I just ignore it?

Late T-34's used road wheels which look exactly like the
starfish wheels used by T-55's. Are they the same?
Would the reainforced hubs concern a T-34 or was it only
and exclusively for T-55's?
Regards / Robin
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 01:42 AM UTC
I can tell you this much, the T-34 Starfish wheels are different then T-55 Wheels..they look the same but they are actually narrower then the T-55 wheels.

As for the re-enforced hubs, I'll assume that they where found on later vehicles that may have additional weight up front or in later rebuilds because the original design wasn't robust enough
asindota
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC
As far as I know, both the T-55 and the T-62 have a reinforced hub on the first wheel (the one closer to the front) on both sides.

I've also seen pictures of T-55 with all the hubs equal, The wheel is probably the same, but the hub cover is bigger on the stock front wheel.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have noticed that some replacement sets (1/35 scale)for T-55 road wheels contain a few with reinforced hubs.

Which ones? I've been looking for proper front roadwheels with the larger hub. Basically only the two front road wheels have them (larger bearings used, so larger hub and cap), in models, usually the fix is cosmetic - putting a larger cap on the wheel but that doesn't change the size around the spoke area which should also be enlarged. Have to check the Trumpeter T-62 ones I suppose.

Jim
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
So the larger hubs would be used on vehicles carrying the dozer blade? Would that apply to the Tiran 5?

Regards

P
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hey Pete,
I'd say yes, check out this photo I cropped down from Prime Portal (best I could find of the Tiran 5, but a good side view of any other T-55 should show it). Notice the hubs on the front road wheel, the spacing of the flange where the bolts are is considerably more than the rest of the road wheels. I'm pretty sure all T-55's show this feature.

Cheers,
Jim
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:17 AM UTC
T54s and early (model 58s) T55s had the regular non-reinforced bearing. I think by the early 60s they began using the reinforced wheel at the 1st roadwheel position.

I have the Tank Resin Models set and theyre really nice.

chris
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
FWIW, I checked my m.72 version of the Trumpeter T-62; it has reinforced wheels for the front and rear positions. I'll be stealing a pair for my T-55 Marksman project. Just a quick look at photos, some T-54A's have them on the front too. So unofficially I'd say it's a progression - none on T-54's (unless upgraded), front pair on T-54A's and T-55's (except early ones as Chris mentions) and then both front and rear pair on T-62's.

Jim
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:12 AM UTC
Tank Model makes a nice set of reenforced hubs, but their translation is comical!

spiritwalker
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Jim

yeah, good thinking. Done this as soon as Trumpeter released the T-62 kits.

Andy
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tank Model makes a nice set of reenforced hubs, but their translation is comical!

The Tank set is just a Tamiya wheel with a larger hub cap added. The hub itself is still to small. Add to this the uneven rubber rim as a result of them poorly cleaning up the Tamiya wheel (wich give 'em an oval look) I'd say they are not worth the money in my IMHO. I guess they'll work as an illusion thought.

I agree on the remark regarding their translation but I guess I shouldn't play dart in a rubber boat...

As a side note for those interested their "Exterier Detail Set for Soviet/Russian tanks T-55, T-62, T-62M" (no. A-257) is just a re-cast of some Tamiya T-55 parts. Good if you lost something to the carpet monster but otherwise...

Cheers,
/E (an unimpressed owner of both mentioned sets)
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 12:37 PM UTC

I agree on the remark regarding their translation but I guess I shouldn't play dart in a rubber boat...

As a side note for those interested their "Exterier Detail Set for Soviet/Russian tanks T-55, T-62, T-62M" (no. A-257) is just a re-cast of some Tamiya T-55 parts. Good if you lost something to the carpet monster but otherwise...

Cheers,
/E (an unimpressed owner of both mentioned sets)[/quote]

Yep.... the Exterier detail set is just a copy of the Tamiya stuff, I jumped on it when it came out but alas, I was dissappointed. My wheels are round though, albeit with the wrong hub with a bigger cover...
I m such a sucker for just about anything T-54/55/62 though...

Chris
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep.... the Exterier detail set is just a copy of the Tamiya stuff, I jumped on it when it came out but alas, I was dissappointed. My wheels are round though, albeit with the wrong hub with a bigger cover...

I got two of the T-55,T-54,T-62 exterior update sets myself...I guess they'd be helpful for Trumpeter kits or even some of the old Skif kits, instead of robbing the Tamiya T-72 for spares like I have in the past.

Good thing I didn't spring for the roadwheels. Anyone see the Miniarm ones? Useful?

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards / Robin

We had a pair of threads about

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/180586&ord=&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/182845

They look the same but actually they are different
timroberts8
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I got two of the T-55,T-54,T-62 exterior update sets myself...I guess they'd be helpful for Trumpeter kits or even some of the old Skif kits, instead of robbing the Tamiya T-72 for spares like I have in the past.

Good thing I didn't spring for the roadwheels. Anyone see the Miniarm ones? Useful?

The Miniarm T55 wheels with larger diameter front wheel bearing have the right size hub (parts B,B1) which is different size from the wheels with the smaller hub (parts A, A1), of course there are 8 normal size bearing covers, and 2 larger ones.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards / Robin

We had a pair of threads about

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/180586&ord=&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/182845

They look the same but actually they are different

For what it's worth:
I compared the Tamiya T-55 wheels with Dragon T-34/85 NVA (kit 3318) yesterday (had to dig through the stash first).

The diameter is nearly the same: OK

The width of the rubber is larger on the T-55: Would have
to use a lathe to reduce this.

The T-55 has small holes in the spokes while the T-34 has large holes: Drilling and careful filing since the holes
are sort of triangular with rounded corners.

The T-34 wheels have a sort of visible, larger, hub inside
the spokes (between the two halves of the wheel): Would need
to fill in and file to shape to convert from a T-55 wheel.

Summary: Could be done but I'll try to get hold of some
Dragon 3318 instead (or hope that it comes back into
production again).

Thanks for all the answers!
Regards / Robin
 _GOTOTOP