_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Tiger I Initial Production - Dragon
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hi folks,

This is my first 2012 kit, a winter vignette for the Tiger I from Dragon, the kit is OBB, and figures are Milicast.

This was my first try with the hairspray technique.

Hope you enjoy it!

Gungadin
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Felipe,

First off, nice work. The Tiger and figures have been painted very well. Looks like a very good attempt at the hair spray technique. There are however a few things that could be changed that would greatly enhance the realism.

1. The figure standing in front of the tiger. Why is he there? how is he interacting with the scene? He looks very under dressed for winter.

2. The ground work, the ground behind the tank would have been churned up revealing the earth underneath the snow. It looks like the tiger is following a track thats been made by a vehicle in front but the snow is still solid. The snow around the trunk of the tree could be reduced as some of the snow would have been caught by the branches above.

3. The tracks on the Tiger would of picked up the snow and mud, they look too clean. You could also glue the top track run down a bit more as it looks like its 'floating' a little. The tank looks like it is sitting on top of the snow when it would have sunk quite deeply. Try chipping away the ground beneath the tiger so it sits lower than the level of the snow and then reapply the ground work around the tracks. This will really help with the impression that it is a 56 ton machine.

4. The barrel and crates to the side, how long have they been there? they would have been covered in snow too.

That may sound like lots of critisim but in reality they are only minor adjustments which would make a big difference to the overall finish. Personally I would remove the standing figure as he has no bearing on the scene and just looks out of place.

Overall its a nice piece of work and the painting is very good, espiecially in 1/72! I just think with these little adjustments it will really look the part.

Cheers
Matt
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
Nice build for 1/72. It's always a challenge to get detail in that scale.
Matt brings up some very good points.

Some highlights, I like base wrap, the chipping is nicely done, detail is great at that scale and construction is very clean.
dpeterso
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 06:35 PM UTC
The scene looks great, and I was wondering what you did to make snow. Is it just plaster or some other mixture? It looks wonderful keep up the great work.
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi folks, thank you for your comments. Just a couple of issues, the standing figure is because this vignette was intended to be named something like "a little stop on the road", so this guy is just "stretching the legs" and chatting with the other. My initial intention was to recreate frozen snow after a light thaw (so that is why barrel and crates are half covered), not fresh snow...but this is not consistent with the snowy tree...my fault!

The base was done with a mixture of Paris plaster and white glue over a foam base.

Cheers!

Felipe
 _GOTOTOP