_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
gas mask canisters stowed in vehicles
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi All,
I'm having a head scratching moment.
I've got a Dragon 251 kit (got several actually but they're complete) #6292 and I'm wondering if part C16 (I'm assuming it's a gas mask canister) is overscale?
Comparing it to gas mask canisters in a Dragon figure set it much longer although diameter seems about right.
Any thoughts on this and what should a mask can's length be? Or did they change the canister during in the war
TIA
Tom
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC
Tom;

For what it's worth...

To the best of my knowledge, there was one gas-mask cannister used in both WWI (from 1917) and WWII. At least they look the same in photos.

So, from this, one should assume that both figures ("men") and tracks / panzers ("machines") should have the same size and dimensions of cannisters!

My experience suggests, alas, Dragon thinks otherwise. So... in some cases, a vehicle kit cannister may have a bottom mount plate molded on, which would make it longer. In other cases, seems that the cannister is simply larger or different dimension than say one seen in a "Gen 2" figure kit. Those that you add on the end-lids seem to build slightly longer than molded one-piecers do.

I use cannisters from figure kits (I have a couple Gen 2 kits that I bought just for the equipment) for vehicle mounts - unless good cans came in the vehicle kit. To me, the size is not so much the issue as their detail appearance, so I look for the best-looking cans in my collection if they will be both visible and easily compared amongst themselves (multiple cans in a build), but that's me...

Bob
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 07:14 PM UTC
Cheers Bob,
If several are stored in a vehicle I too use the cans supplied with figs to make them all the same.
This one is attached to the bulkhead beside the driver's wheel. So I might leave it be.
TTFN
Tom
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 09:51 PM UTC
All you need to know about German gas mask canisters (and more ):
http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/gas_mask.htm

HTH

Frenchy
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
@Frenchy:

WOW! Now THAT link is COOL!

@Tom:

Well, Frenchy's link answers the question of whether different lengths of cans were actually produced... and also confirms that cans were of a typical diameter and a typical appearance (ribbing, etc.). So different lengths of cans in one vehicle could be OK (though I would suppose a crew in a unit more likely all had the same type as issue - I would guess production-runs were issued in time sequence, and that relatively few used cans were recycled during the war, as cans were not likely aggressively scavenged from dead? So units were issued from the available stock. But all that's a guess on my part!)

The photos also nicely address the color of can and the strapping (wish I had seen these pics oh, about a month back, when I painted some cans inside my sdkfz 223 before putting on the gratings and making it harder to repaint them!) - there is at least one can which seems to be post-painted with gelb and grun camo! That's cool in its own right. So also are the many clues as to how paint may have worn off or chipped on these common equipment items.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP