_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ammo Boxes on Abrams
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the ammo boxes usually seen stowed on Abrams tanks used for?

I'm looking at the stowage provided in Tamiya's M1A2 kit, Tamiya's M1A1 kit with mine plow and the Dragon M1A1 AIM kit....

You find 12.7mm boxes - perfectly understandable since there is a M2 Browning on-board.

The 25mm and 40mm boxes throw me since there is no Mk19 given to tanker crews (to my knowledge) and only the bradley has a 25mm gun.

Once I know what they are used for I can get a better feel for how to plan my stowage etc.

Thanks
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the ammo boxes usually seen stowed on Abrams tanks used for?

I'm looking at the stowage provided in Tamiya's M1A2 kit, Tamiya's M1A1 kit with mine plow and the Dragon M1A1 AIM kit....

You find 12.7mm boxes - perfectly understandable since there is a M2 Browning on-board.

The 25mm and 40mm boxes throw me since there is no Mk19 given to tanker crews (to my knowledge) and only the bradley has a 25mm gun.

Once I know what they are used for I can get a better feel for how to plan my stowage etc.

Thanks

While I am not a tanker, I do have some experience with these. We used them for everything, they are just good general storage boxes and they are waterproof and readily available. We bolted ammo boxes to the turrets of our MRAP's for everything from food and water, ammo, binos and optics, clothing, really anything. I'd assume the tankers did the same thing.

Heck I even bolted them to the wall in my room as shelving cubes, worked great.
Removed by original poster on 01/11/12 - 16:31:12 (GMT).
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the info.
M1LasenBlaze
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Thanks

If you take a look at the decal sheet there are some lettered decals: DVR LDR GNR TC and four 25mm ammo boxes they afix to.
The previous poster was correct. These boxes are usually used to hold the crewman's Kevlar helmet and TA-50 equipment that tankers must put on whenever they dismount. Inside the tank they're wearing CVC helmets and no TA-50 (Web gear or MOLLE gear).
Each crewman had a box with his helmet and gear in it.
 _GOTOTOP