_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Watermarks
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi Armorama staff

Thank for making a great site that I very much enjoy to visit and contribute to.

However, recently you have begun adding watermarks to most images used in reviews and elsewhere, and I find this very distracting in our visual hobby.

For instance in your mention of this new Miniart car:
http://armorama.com/news/10589

The watermark is so prominent, that it seems like the car is painted in a weird camouflage scheme.

While I understand the need to protect your own images from others who might use them without permission, is it really necessary to do this with images direct from the producer, in this case Miniart?

Thanks in advance
- Occam
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:17 AM UTC
We have been instructed to watermark items as a number of news items and reviews have been copied and pasted verbatum on other sites. In the case of reviews some were even passed off as thier own work.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the case of reviews some were even passed off as thier own work.

Some Chinese webstores selling counterfeited goods have taken number of Armorama and Historicus Forma reviews as their own and I would definitely strongly recommend adding watermarks to Kitmaker proprietary stuff... reviews, features, etc. As for the news stories, I think most of the images for those are supplied by the manufacturers themselves and are actually their property which is very often watermarked with their own logo. In this case, I personally think adding extra Kitmaker Network site logo is an overkill.

I do have to agree about the too large Armorama watermark on recent news stories which often obscures details on the pictures. If it needs to be done, I think some less prominent or more transparent logo would be more appropriate.

Mario
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC
I have just released two news stories with a much smaller and lighter watermark and will continue to do so unless they start showing up elsewhere. The watermarks are there as an instruction from Jim Rae who is unavailble to enter into a discussion at this time.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC
Thanks for taking action on this Darren. I think it looks much better now... The watermark is still visible, but much less prominent so it doesn't take my eyes of the picture details.

Cheers,
Mario
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just released two news stories with a much smaller and lighter watermark and will continue to do so unless they start showing up elsewhere.

Thanks for your quick action. The new watermarks are very visible, yet not annoying at all. Great solution!

Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP