_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Israeli Paratroopers
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi Gang.Recently picked up DML`s M-50 SuperSherman for the bargain price of £20 !It`s an orange box release with a set of paratroopers included but what i was wondering is are the paras from the same era as the tank ?,what makes me wonder is the weapons they are holding look too modern.
Any info appreciated as thought Belgium FLN`s (hope i spelt that right) would be more appropriate
entlim
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
As far as I was aware, they are circa 1970...

as to the weaponry, I don't know....
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 02:04 PM UTC
The IDF paras are from the 80s/early 90s, and not really period appropriate for the tank (I have the same kit).

Nobody really makes any IDF infantry figure sets from the 67 or 73 wars, not that I'm aware of.

Regards,

Tim W.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 10:40 PM UTC
Danny ,, i know the set your talking about ..i have 14 of those sets . hey at only $2 each i couldn't say no ,anyways the weapons are totally wrong for the M51 ,,they carry the Galil rifle which didn't enter full service until 1973 and then only to armoured units . the ground troops used M16's and Fn-Fal's .
The RPG-7 and the Fn-Mag are ok as the RPG has been around since 1961 and the Fn-Mag since 1958. no sure about the uniforms and kit they carry but i would guess that's pretty late too .
If you made a tank crew for the M51 they could carry the 5.56mm Galil ,they were issued with them .

Phill
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 04:45 AM UTC
Based on the photo in Tom Gannons book which has a photo said to be at the retirement ceremony I would say the M51 was retired in the early 80s. I base this on the IDF style helmet worn by the man in the TC position which I believe was only issued starting in the early 80s at most earliest late 70s and just a general recollection on my part of similar discussions.

The figures definitely depict the IDF uniform of the 1982 Israeli operation "Peace For Galilee" and into the mid 90s.The pack board for the stretcher was also used to carry many other items from ammo to TOW reloads. You can swap out the galils with both long and short barrels as well as M16s and M21 sniper versions of the M14.

Bottom line is that while the very likely over lapped as far as being in service, I think you would not have likely seen them together except on reserve unit maneuvers. hope this helps.

Joshua W.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys,To push this a little further Trumpeter makes weapon sets that are available on their own.
Which of these sets would i need to purchase to get the correct weapons fit ? (i regularly deliver around lowestoft so i can nip into Hannants without too much bother).
I have to admit that looking at them myself baffles me !
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi
What time frame are you looking for. The old italeri weapons set had fn fals and wooden stock uzis but these wouldnt fit with the flack jackets and webbing, The kit also had m16s which would work for the same time frame as the galils included with the figures.
You could possibly use the m50 with the figures if you made it a Lebanese militia tank and use m16s or aks for the figures, the timeframe being early 80s before the t55s become more common.
Peter
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies guys,To push this a little further Trumpeter makes weapon sets that are available on their own.
Which of these sets would i need to purchase to get the correct weapons fit ? (i regularly deliver around lowestoft so i can nip into Hannants without too much bother).

Theres nothing wrong with the weapons the soldiers are equipped with. You just can use those figures alongside the M50 because the time frame doesn't match. The paratroopers are wearing the IDF load bearing vest which was introduced in the late 70's and 80's and the modern type body armour. Furthermore the kevlar para helmets where a 1980's innovation.

armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Theres nothing wrong with the weapons the soldiers are equipped with. You just can use those figures alongside the M50 because the time frame doesn't match. The paratroopers are wearing the IDF load bearing vest which was introduced in the late 70's and 80's and the modern type body armour. Furthermore the kevlar para helmets where a 1980's innovation.

So i`d probably be better off placing them next to a Merkava Mk II or III.
This leads me to wonder why they were placed in the box in the first place !.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So i`d probably be better off placing them next to a Merkava Mk II or III.

This leads me to wonder why they were placed in the box in the first place !.

Stick em with a Merk I or II and they'll be fine, Merk III should be ok as well.

I think the reason DML stuck em in the box was to make a quick buck. Im not a fan of the Orange Box line at all.
 _GOTOTOP