Hosted by Darren Baker
Australian backpacks- Afghanistan
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC
Do Australians use ALICE packs or something else? I am looking for stowage for the Showcase Bushmaster I am slowly working on. I ordered the Mouse House ESKY ice boxes and Rat packs and will probably make some tarps and bedrolls but am open to any other suggestions. Thanks
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC
I'm working on them mate. Three types of back pack and associated stowage to be included in 3 fit out options.

Cheers Jason
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Great-3 options! I had already planned on your update/stowage for another bushmaster so I thought I was going to be on my own for something different for my current Bushmaster build. I will wait
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
FYI- this is what I am going for, puppy and all
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
And you have picked one of the options I'm doing!!!!

Jason
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:55 PM UTC
Well, then-put me down for one!! Anything special that I need to do to the base kit? I am working on it now.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 04:57 PM UTC
other than adding the ACM Duke set of course
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 06:58 PM UTC
The issue daypack for 2011 can be found here:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/3-day-assault-bvs-pack

HTH

Greg
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hi Jason,
If you can't wait for Jason then the answer is YES you can use Alice packs as we use one very similar to the US large Version.

It is in our normal DPCU and we get issued with a DPDU cover when we go into the Middle East. The cover is basically the same as this but in DPDU.

The other packs used up until 2010 is the VTAC 5.11 in flat earth.

This is just from my limited knowledge. But it would be better to wait for Jason as his gear is normally spot on.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 07:19 PM UTC
Should have added as well that they are attached to the vehicle either by a carabiner through the handle or by their shoulder straps. There is either a chain or a length of rope that is tied onto the vehicle for them to be hooked on.

Andrij
Visit this Community
Lviv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 09:57 PM UTC
As I know Black Dog have prepared Australian equipment

Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I know Black Dog have prepared Australian equipment

ok so when did Australian vehicles actually garner attention from AAA international aftermarket producers? Some seriously cool kit coming out. Wow spoiled for choices ! of course will have to have them ALL, and in multiple numbers...

The Aussie crew commander figure from (insert company here) along with the two yet to be released figures from ACM, now these accesory kits! brilliant.

Someones listening.

Thankyou Aftermarket manugacturers! applause all round

Adam
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I am going to wait for ACM's stowage set as he is doing one for the specific Bushmaster I am building. That ASLAV Stowage looks nice, though!

jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
True both kits look very good.

You would definitely have to check you references on the Bush master cause I know when I was there in 09-10 the SSM cracked up big time over to much "crap" being stowed on the outside and we had to remove a lot of gear like the trunks and swags. With all that junk up there the Crewie lost his view of the rear which made situational awareness very difficult. Contrary to what the Infantry say we Armoured Corps blokes do like to look behind us, especially when in Line Ahead so we don't loose contact with the vehicle behind and can still employ hand signals as required. The enginners used to have a couple of Hesco baskets cut down and strapped to the roof to hold all their extra kit and this flowed over onto a few of the other vehicles as well.
I'd like to know what Black Dog used as the reference for the ASLAV as well. If that car was in my Troop I would have cracked it myself. There's way to much non-essential gear stowed on the turret. Stuff like swags and packs should be stowed inside or strapped to the hull.
But that aside Black Dog should be commended on the quality of these pieces as they do look very well made. I personally love the individual set as they have captured the dive bags and Vtac packs excellently. Pity they are all sold out here in Australia.

Can't wait to see what Jason comes up with.

Cheers, John
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks!
I don't think those sets are even out yet. I cannot find them on Black DOgs site. Wonder what else they have in store for us
specmod
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi all,
Yes the black dog sets are out, I have sets on the way, anyone wanting them, contact me on [email protected]
we are an Australian supplier of these, or keep an eye out on our site www.folditmodels.com
Dont worry there are plenty of great new sets comin.

Cheers Andrew & Jason
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 07:19 PM UTC
Thanks Andrew. Foldit was the first site I checked after Black Dogs cause I have it bookmarked. I'll be in touch with your email.

Cheers, John
Andrij
Visit this Community
Lviv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC
Jason, if you looking for a photos Bushmaster, look out my blog-
http://a-z-modeling.blogspot.com/2011/11/australian-bushmaster-aslav.html
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason, if you looking for a photos Bushmaster, look out my blog-
http://a-z-modeling.blogspot.com/2011/11/australian-bushmaster-aslav.html

Wow- fantastic!!
Harvs73
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 11:29 PM UTC
The following is a list of ISSUED packs that you may see overseas:
- Basic pack - this is the pack that all soldiers are issued.
- Land 125 pack - issued mainly to Infantry but some other soldiers have them (including Padres). This pack is limited issue and not all Infantry have them.
- Rush 72 5.11 day pack. This was originaly issued to Infantry and those directly supporting them only. It can be seen in either flat earth/tan or black. The black pack is an option due to the manner in which the packs were purchased and became a favourite amongst some infantry types. The pack is now not issued to infantry/MTF but it is issued to all other forces in Afghanistan.
- Mystery Ranch 3 pack - this is the pack now issued to those soldiers that have the new Multicam armour.

As for bags, there are two main ISSUED bags in service:
- The Echelon Bag (aka the Ech bag) which is the green canvas bag that has been issued since before Vietnam.
- The Dive bag, this is a relatively recent issued item but can be seen for several years as it was on limited issue but is now on general issue to those deploying. This is a longer plastic type bag.

I would also like ot make a point about the Black Dog Australian Equipment set. The flags you see on the packs are not the correct colour for most of those serving in Afghanistan. The light blue Australian National Flag that is seen is actualy the right colour for the Air Force patches. The Army ANF is a darker Blue as found on the Australian Flag.

You can see several different ISSUED ANF's on Army personel:
- The DPCU and dark blue flag that is generally worn in Australia. This can also be seen on soldiers who are deployed overseas.
- The DPDU/Tan (Desert pattern) ANF which has a desert colour background and a tan ANF. This is noramlly wonrn on DPDU's but can be seen on DPCU's due to lack of the correct colour ANF if worn.
- A DPCU/Tan ANF which has the background in DPCU and the flag in tan thread.
- A black plastic flag that is visible with NVG's, normally worn by those patrolling.

If you look at the images on the internet you will see a combination of all types of patches being worn in the same unit. At this stage there is no ISSUED multicam patches. I stress the ISSUED part as there is heaps of gear that is purchased by soldiers and worn/used instead of the issued items.

_GOTOTOP