ACE 1/72 Scale P-107 U-304(f)
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hello

To give this one its full title its a Leichter Schutzenpanzerwagen (2.Ausf) auf P-107 U-304(f)

This was factory built conversion by the germans, built on French Unic half-track chassis, to provide a light armoured halftrack.

I was going to do a build log on this one, but it was a relatively fast build, compared to most I've done, so just one progress pic.

The longest part of the build was tidying up the pieces before assembling. I thinned the sides and ends as the plastic was a bit thick, so that the side armour was a bit more in scale, and to help with a better fit for the sides and ends, and bonnet and radiator vent.

The tracks were heated to red hot, then allowed to naturally cool, to soften them before pre-forming them to shape and wrapping around the bogies, and holding them in place with a little liquid super glue.

I found the tracks were one link too long, so cut a link off each.

Its very tempting to give these tracks a sag, but that would be incorrect, these tracks were all rubber in real life and did not sag, they were not metal and linked by pins, like most tracks. WW2 pictures show no track sag, even when the vehicle was stationary.

This was quite a pleasant build, most of it done in a few hours, minor filling of some hair line cracks needed on some joins.

The haltrack assembly will be affixed after painting.

This is due for a paint job soon, will post more then

cheers
Korpse

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 04:27 AM UTC
Neil,

I see that one obscure subject (the quad MG's) was not enough and you now grace this forum with a a second! While the body of the half-track looks particularly German, that track suspension is quite unusual. Great job on thinning the side walls, the MG 34's don't look too bad and the PE track is quite interesting to see. Will keep my eye on this one.

Cheers,
Jan
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 07:06 PM UTC
@Korpse - Neil,

Strange looking vehicle! First time ever seeing this vehicle. It appears to be missing the rear fenders and possibly some side mounted stowage boxes, I think that is what makes this vehicle looks so strange to me.

Will you be adding this one to your train dio? It would make for an interesting and eye-catching addition. Any figures or stowage planned for this one?

~ Eddy
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 08:13 PM UTC
I have a few of the ACE kits and have heard that their are some awkward fit issues even between identical kits. I'm glad the pieces fit well after cleanup, and I love the PE tracks and can't wait to work with some of those on my end.
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
Oh my god ... ACE is finished!
easy to get Neil

cheers...
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 05:36 AM UTC
Thanks for postig Neil. I have been seen this model because I like. Now I have a good reference. Excellent work.

Regards.

Pedro.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
And Neil's production line is at it again? That track looks quite intimidating and the look of all those shavings is scary. Wish I had the patience for something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
AJ
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hello all

thanks for all the comments

@ Eddy - these were made in 1943 & 44. The earlier models had a fully armoured body similar to the Sd Kfz 250, the later ones were simplified like this model, so you were on the right track, the sides are bare on this one.

It would be nice if ACE made the other body, and all the other variants mounted with rockets, 37mm PAK, 75mm PAK, etc.

Regarding the etch tracks, they are easy to form if you pre heat them first to take the tension out of the metal.

I have given it a preliminary spray of base coat to identify where joins need cleaning up. I find it easier to see the blemishes where everything is the same colour.

Pictures below are prior to getting the file & putty out and doing some more tidy up around the nose and sides.

The body is sitting on the tracks, has not been joined yet.

cheers
Neil

skala72
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 03:16 AM UTC
Models of the company "ACE" are not simple. These models require a lot of patience, but they are very interesting. I keep my fingers crossed and good luck.
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi Korpse

Very nice model. Respect for working with this ACE kits.
This kits are nothing for me. But you have done a good work with it.
I like it.

Cheers Daniel
 _GOTOTOP