Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hello

this was another weekend build

UMmt 1/72 Scale kit, number 635, Air Defence Station Model 1931.

This was an AA gun, in effect 4 Vickers Machine Guns on a rotating mount, that could be tilted from about horizontal to quite a high angle to engage enemy aircraft.

WW2 photos show these mounted on trucks, railway wagons, and one the rooves of buildings.

The kit contains parts for just 1 of these.

It pays to study the instructions very carefully before starting, as there are many tiny parts and virtually no marks on the parts to indicate or assist with lining them up or affixing them in the correct spots. The instructions are mostly adequate if studied carefully.

The gun carriage sits on the pedestal without being glued so can be rotated, and if built carefully the guns also can be made to tilt up and down.

Liquid super glue was mainlu used to assemble this kit. Its built from the box, the only parts replaced were the 3 support poles that locate on the 'feet' on the base, and affix to the central pole. Brass wire comes with the kit, I replaced this with "stretched sprue" support poles.

I say the instructions were mostly adequate as they did not show where to locate the winding handle, so I affixed it where I supposed it should go.

Much care is needed with assembly, as affixing any part even a fraction of a millimetre will create a poor end result. I'm still doing small tweaks to this one before painting. I haven't decided whethet to mount this on a GAZ truck or on a russian rail wagon.

This kit would be improved were hoses to be included to connect the water jackets on the guns to the tanks below. However this could easily be done by the modeller, with fine wire.

some pics below

cheers
Neil

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
Greetings Neil,

Looks like you have found another extremely unique and unusual subject for this group to enjoy and learn about. I can only imaging how small and fiddley this kit must be to build. BTW, they aren't Vickers but Maxim machine guns. From what I have seen on the 'Net, I believe that a version of this mount was originally produced by a collaboration between UMMT and Zebrano and was a limited run kit with resin parts for the guns and mount. I'll be curious to watch and see how you employ this build. Thanks for sharing this discovery.

Cheers,
Jan
FJCabeza
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC
More options:

These Spanish Quad were also used by French troops in 1940...
I want to made the last version (ZIS5) as used in Catalonia in 1939
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 07:23 PM UTC
@Korpse - Neil,

What a small project and with workable features to boot. You did a super job assembling this little piece. You weren't trying to go cross-eyed on this build were you?

~ Eddy
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 07:46 PM UTC
You are a sick sick man Neil, but we already knew that Keep it coming!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
I agree with vonHengest's assessments. You definitely are one of a half dozen or so escapees that haunt this forum that need to be recaptured. Where do you find these oddball kits! Keep it up!

Regards,
AJ
 _GOTOTOP