_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
SF Humvee crew, Afghanistan
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 08:58 PM UTC
Mario Matijasic reviews AC Models foray into 1/35 scale figures with a treat for modern modelers: SF Humvee crew [ACM35002]

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC
nice review but where can you buy these figures??
henk
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 12:48 AM UTC
Interesting......

Andy's sculpting is very "loose", but he captures anatomy and poses so very very well.
I feel that suits his larger busts perfectly, but the lack of sharpness and finese and even apparent details in these is very noticable in the photos.....to me personally much more work would be required if you were to use these next to other manufacturers.

Great subject, but they look incomplete
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
Henk, AC Models range is available at Colorado Miniatures, Milmin Warehouse, Red Lancers and SK Miniatures. I used SK Miniatures the last time I ordered and was really happy with the service.

Rob, I understand your thoughts... bear in mind the photos show the figures very much enlarged than they are in real life (which comes to around 50mm from toes to top of the head). Andy's angular style of sculpting and the volumes on the photos might make the figures look incomplete, but in my hands the figures look really good. Perhaps I'm a bit biased as I like the Andy's sculpting... it is different from the "norm" but I think it has a very nice appeal. As for combining these with other 1/35 scale figures... the size is comparable to Evolution, Bravo6, Alpine, etc. but I agree the sculpting style is evidently different.

Mario
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC
I've gotta agree with Rob. The style is awkward but not bad in anyway. It's the missing details like the pouches details, and the gloves that make all the difference for me. We need to see these painted up before making judgements right?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 08:46 AM UTC
I have to agree with Rob on this one and say I don't like the look of these at all. Its a shame for me because the anatomy and poses of the figures are stunning, however the sculpting style looks just a bit too weird and artistic to me. To my eye these almost look like concrete garden sculptors scaled down, if you understand what I mean. The chest pouches and things have no real definition and look like they have been deliberately carved to show just a basic outline without any detail, as an artist might do.

As i said, great as an artistic piece, sadly no good for me as a realistic 1/35 figure, especially compared to the likes of Evo's SF figures with the most intricate details sculpted in.
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
Where can we find these figures.....
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where can we find these figures.....

Henk asked the same question couple of posts above... and here is the answer.

Quoted Text

AC Models range is available at Colorado Miniatures, Milmin Warehouse, Red Lancers and SK Miniatures. I used SK Miniatures the last time I ordered and was really happy with the service.

Mario
53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC
I have this set. Nice, but i agree. Detail a little lacking on the gear. I have his 120mm NVA figure. Compared with Evolution or ANT the casting is not as nice. Great poses though! Ryan
heavykev
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Currently working on thiks figure set.
Very nice and should look great when when put together with the NZSAS Humvee update.

A couple of pics of NZSAS kit

cheers
Kev
Photobucket

Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A couple of pics of NZSAS kit

Thanks for those Kev. I managed to get some pics of the kit these figures are wearing... Apparently the figures are based on the first rotations to Afghanistan; these operatives wore NZ style cut uniforms in Brit DPM camo and were supplied by personalized Kiwi rigs.

Mario
 _GOTOTOP