_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What to do with Vinyl tyres??
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I'm getting close to fitting the wheels and tyres to my M1000 trailer from Hobby Boss.(See my build thread on this site). It has no less than 42 Vinyl tyres!!

I'm pretty new to AFV stuff, so am wondering if there any tricks you know of to make the glossy tyres look more realistic. I just want to flatten down the gloss and take away the "Blackness" a bit. I'm guessing acrylic paints will just flake off in time, so what do you do??

I am aware that Real model are due to release a set of resin wheels for the trailer, but, to be honest, I've put so much work into getting the wheels to look right, I want to use these horrible vinyl things!!

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nige
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:27 AM UTC
Nigel;

Hi!

Hobby Boss vinyl tires... Hey! I'm right with you - got me some of these things going onto a build, too But I only have 4 of them to fuss about (one of those HB German armored car kits)! 42 of the darned things... yikes! (sorry! ).

I think that the newer Hobby Boss items may be more stable and OK over time than maybe older items, such as some old vinyl tracks and tires which rotted kits and shed paint over the years. No data to substantiate this, but...

From this, here's what I do and suggest: first wash them well in warm, soapy water, and maybe follow up with an alcohol bath - get any oils and grease and mold-release agents off them. Make sure they are completely dry. Spray them with some good enamel paint - I use Floquil RR enamels, but others would be fine, I'm sure. This will give you your "right color and flat finish" (I use a "weathered black" color, which is really a dark gray, to get what I think is a better rubber color, but that's just my opinion). I actually use a light spray coat of really thinned enamel - not a solid coat. This leaves some variation and shading on the tire, and allows you to tinker a little with the finish - glossy to flat. The enamel should adhere well to a clean tire - you are not going to be flexing it, so it should not just flake off. After my enamel dries, I go on and "wash" my tire with some well-thinned acrylic dusty and earth colors, for the dust effect, and end with dusting on some pastel chalks to complete the weathering.

I also suggest doing the "base" enamel painting off the mounts, mount them, touch up IF there really appears to have been some paint-loss (probably none, but...), wash and dust them in-place.

Cheers!

Bob

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
I wonder why they still continue to produce such awful vinyl tyres

Anyway, if i were you I'd make some resin copies
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks for your tips there Bob. Most useful!!

I wonder if I use cellulose thinners with the enamel paint, will that give a better bond?? I think i'll try it out.

The tyres seem really nice to me?

And yes, there are a lot of em!!

Thanks again Bob, these are off to the sink now.

Nige
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hi,

I always use Tamiya Nato Black XF-69. It is called an acrylic but it is actually not. It is flexible, durable and will not flake. It also is not 100% black so it looks more realistic that a normal black paint IMHO. I've got models covered in this paint on my shelf for over 10 years and they all are still okay.

Mat
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I always use Tamiya Nato Black XF-69. It is called an acrylic but it is actually not. It is flexible, durable and will not flake. It also is not 100% black so it looks more realistic that a normal black paint IMHO. I've got models covered in this paint on my shelf for over 10 years and they all are still okay.

Mat

Thanks Mat,

Do you use acrylic thinner or cellulose with it?

Nige
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 02:28 AM UTC
Just sand them with a nail file, this will remove the glossy look and tone down the black color. I have done this on a number of kits before and never had any trouble except that this is a bit tedious.

Olivier
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC
Steel wool will also flatten the gloss.

cheers
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi,

Mat

Thanks Mat,

Do you use acrylic thinner or cellulose with it?

Nige

I always use their normal acrylic thinner with their acrylic paint range and that works perfect, although I heard Tamiya's lacquer thinner (the bottle with the yellow cap, not the blue cap that one is for enamel paint) is even better with their acrylics. So if you have any of those two you'll be okay

With such a large amount of tyres, you can shove them all together on a long stick or pencil like you are going to BBQ them, it saves a lot of time when airbrushing. I used this trick on the trailer of my Faun
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just sand them with a nail file, this will remove the glossy look and tone down the black color. I have done this on a number of kits before and never had any trouble except that this is a bit tedious.

Olivier

I do this aswell. You might also consider using weathering pigments to get the right look, applying the pigments dry and then rubbing the excess off with a finger can be very effective. Some drybrushing with a dark rubber color can also work nicely.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC
If everything fails, you can still use them for a dio :

Frenchy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
I have always found that whenever I painted them regardless of which paint I used the tires dried out, Cracked, went to dust or otherwise generally rendered them pretty useless eventually. Maybe they used other rubber since I had it mostly with older kits. Nowadays I only threat them with dry pigments. It makes the nice matt, slightly dusty looking and as far as I can tell the rubber is not affected in any way.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
I've had tyre rot probs with the original Tamiya LRDG chevvy, painted with enamels & enamel thinner, seemed to melt them!

Paint the inside of the rims, to provide a barrier just to be on the safe side, such as acrylic paint, or Future.

You could then assemble the tyre & painted wheel, & spray with future that has 10% XF22(?) matting agent to give a flat finish, then filth up with filters, pigments, chalks, etc....
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
I can't recommend Tamiya paint for vinyl tires. I tried used Tamiya brand thinner, and Laquer thinner, and the paint could not stand any sort of flexing. Granted, these trumpeter tires may take paint differently than your HB ones. I would go with enamel and paint them only after the hubs are in place to minimize flex.

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC
Your best bet is to replace them. Period.

You've got too much sunk into that great kit to risk lousy tires flaking paint....
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If everything fails, you can still use them for a dio :

Frenchy

LMAO!!!

Nige
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 01:13 PM UTC
I use steel wool and rub the tires. It's quick and provides a great surface for pigments.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC
If you don't plan on using them for your M1000, you could scratch yourself an MLRS resupply trailer. They look about the right size.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 03:35 PM UTC
I don't really paint them, I just apply a thin acrylic wash. I then apply a good quality pastel dust which flattens the finish and also adds the right amount of weathering.

Like so:

I first run a thinned mud coloured wash into the treads, followed by the pastel dust and then a water-dampened cotton bud or my finger to rub some of the dust off for highlight. A dry one works well too, it just doesn't take off as much.

cheers
Bob
bankmannl
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Personally i always use Mig pigments nr.P 414 track brown.
Works perfectly for my, i've used several times on Trumpeter's Strykers !

redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
Agree with cleaning and then sanding. I use a scotch guard pad to give the tire a bit of edge wear and lightly scratch up the side wall. After sanding I uses a bit of mineral Spirits to final clean.

Rounds Complete!!
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 09:59 AM UTC
Thanks for all your helpful tips and advice!! I discovered after washing the tyres they became a nice matt grey rubber colour, so that was a result!!

I had some pro-modeller Sand Pigment lying around, so I thought I'd try brushing that into the wheels and tyres.

I'm not at all happy with the result. These are the inner set of wheels, so I'm free to experiment with these.

Please advise what is wrong, and what should be my next steps.

Regards

Nige
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 05:33 PM UTC
Well, I think you have a really good start here and so far what you have looks fine. This is a first step though and there's usually more to come when weathering is concerned. After you finish the assembly, painting, weathering and any other paint/pigmnet effects you're going to use, additional pigment weathering to the wheels, tires and remainder of the underside of the chassis will further enhance the look and everything should work out for you.

Keep going, I think you're on the right track.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP