_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy M1151 + AM
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi guys!

This is my first build log so I am really excited about this. I really like Humvee's especially those that are being used in Iraq & Afghanistan. So after looking more than hundred pictures online I decided to built M1151 with anti IED system like this one

but I am not trying to build 100% replica, this picture is more like a guideline

So, building is based on new Academy M1151 kit + AM products from Voyager, Legend, Dtoys, Windmark & D-corporation.

Voyager has released their PE set with some resin and there is a lot of details to be done with this set. Some parts are so small that sometimes i ask myself is there even point to put this on the model, but I really try to put all PE parts. Here is link if you want to see instructions in PDF:
http://ul.to/eexe7lae

But before Voyager set there was also Legend PE set + resin parts. Legend has some interesting parts like underbody protection, but not all the way, some details will be scratch build. Also there are tools, ammo boxes, canisters that are in resin.
Best way is to combine these two sets.

Legend instructions:

Now on to chassis & suspension. Building D-Corp modification set on Academy chassis was pretty easy because i used this site's instructions:
http://cafe.daum.net/sp3gogo/jtCG/5
I really didn't liked instruction sheet that came in the box, while parts are very good quality.

to be continued soon...

thanks for watching

Pops53
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:16 AM UTC
Excellent, Marko! I share your fascination with the current and very diverse variety of MRAP vehicles currently in service with U.S. forces in Afghanistan (and recently in Iraq), and will be excited to watch your built unfold.

A question, if it's not too rude: How much (ballpark) did it cost to acquire the six different kits and accessories that you show? It would be helpful to get a general idea.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
It looks like it should come out very nice. It looks good so far. Have fun with all that resin and PE. I personally think the Voyager PE set is overkill, but to each their own.

Quoted Text

I share your fascination with the current and very diverse variety of MRAP vehicles currently in service with U.S. forces in Afghanistan (and recently in Iraq)...

The M1151 is not an MRAP. It is simply an armored HMMWV. MRAPS are of a specific design of vehicle that makes them Mine Resistant and Ambush Protected. The armored HMMWV does not fall in this category. More info on MRAPs can be found at Global Security.
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi Fred

It costs like this +-$

Academy kit 32$ with shipping
Voyager set 25$ free shipping
Legend set around 25$ free shipping, but sometimes it is on sale from 13$ to 17$
Dtoys wheel set was on sale for 9$ free shipping
D-Corp suspension set around 20$ with shipping
Windmark stowage set 15$ with shipping

+

RHINO IED from Voyager & Legend
OIF signage from Archer

these last 3 can't recall the price
Pops53
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thanks, Marko. That's very helpful, indeed.

And thank you, Gino, for the clarification on MRAPs. I knew it was really and up-armored HMMWV equipped with anti-IED technology, as Marko correctly stated at the outset, though I think of this as an evolutionary step on the way to the mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle currently in use.
henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC
he marko lots of work to look good i send you a email for some decals
henk
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Grat work so far!! Is that an anti-IED antenna on the front right of your picture or is that something in the back ground? I haven't seen one that shape yet- looks similiar to a Duke but looks like it has a football (American ) shaped cross secction as opposed to round.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Great so far, Marko. I am building a similar vehicle, I am adding a SPARK mine roller, too.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
I shall follow this with interest Marko. Looks like you are off to an excellent start and have some great products to work with. I've got the kit in the 'to do' pile, but just bought a Legends M1151 conversion cheap as well, guess i'll see which looks like the easier project.
M1LasenBlaze
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 06:50 PM UTC
If you're going to put your 1151 in Laghman or Kunar province Afghanistan make sure you break the rearview mirrors off and put alot of deep scrape damage down the sides.
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 12:50 AM UTC
Guys, thanks for the support! I really appreciate it.

@ Jason West
That is Duke antenna, but it looks strange because there is side view mirror in front of antenna...

you can see it better on this picture
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
Ah, OK- thanks. It looked weirdly shaped in the original picture
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC
OK, next in line are wheels. My first choice was DEF model with older version of tire which costs around 16$, but it was pre christmas sale on LuckyModel where they had Dtoys new model of M1151 sagged wheels + spare only for 9$. I could not resist so I ordered one(they have 2 sets for identical tire, #1 is not sagged while set #2 has sagged wheels).

I'm no expert on AM wheels but this set looks very good for me. They fit easy on humvee chassis and it's easy to sand of excess of resin of the tire. Only minus would go for the tire tread, it looks to deep on my opinion.

Now onto RHINO anti IED device. When you see this device from distance it looks simple but when you start to build then you now how detailed it can be. I have 2 sets from Voyager & Legend. If you want easier build(but with less details)you can use Legend. If you want more details like real thing then Voyager set is the way to go. I used Voyager with resin part from Legend set(easy way ).

jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
Great work on the Rhino!
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 01:25 AM UTC
update

some PE parts are really small and fragile so they take a good amount of time to adjust, but then I'm not a fast builder and I like to jump through steps on instructions so I don't get bored...

dry fit

Pops53
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
Considering the challenge of much of the smaller bits of Photoetch, I'd say you're making great progress. The Devil, as they say, is in the details!
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi, need some info so I can finaly finish chassis. Does M1151 have basic tool set on the chassis like this picture points to? I looked online but didn't see it on new Humvee's

kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:14 AM UTC
It's an Academy's mistake. Tools in M1151 are on rear tailgate:

http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/

Great build so far But You've got wrong turret rotation mechanism (another Academy's mistake). In a kit there are parts for BMPTU (used in M1114s) included, and in real M1151 there is different mechanism:

http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/

Also beware of turret hatch - in a kit there is hatch proper for M1114, not for M1151 (another Academy's mistake...)
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:30 AM UTC
Looking good Marko. I love the level of detail you're doing....
pilote14
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 432 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC
i love your build !
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
Kuba thanks for fast reply. Rear tailgate tool set comes with Legend set so I'm good for that Academy mistake

As you can see I used Voyager ring, only that is left from Academy ring is this 1mm plastic ring that I use to rotate ring(the rest was sanded off) and this box that i glued to Voyager ring. Really don't know the name for that 3rd thing???

Thanks for watching & support, more progress soon
kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 05:33 AM UTC
These two plastic parts (the box and this second element) glued to the lower part of Voyager's ring aren't proper for M1151 - look at the photos above, from hmmwvinscale.com. At the 1st and 2nd photos of turntable You can see a small box with a handle - such element can be found in Bronco's M1114. A good solution is to exchange elements between M1114 and M1151, if You've got both of them. But some elements should be scratchbuilded for proper M1151 turntable rotation mechanism.
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
I'll try to scratch build those parts. Don't have Bronco's M1114, its only on my wishlist
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Great job, any update?

jay
supersxvmoto
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi Jay, update coming soon, nothing big though. Building also T-90 and M1117 and waiting for underbody protection from Eduard for humvee...

_GOTOTOP