_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 6x6 cargo truck
Belg1960
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC
Good morning, I'm a real novice at building in plastic and real beginner at working with 1/35 scale products.
My main question is how do you guys break down your components for painting when it relates to a truck like this? I was hoping to find a step by step breakdown but my search has not turned up anything. Also if sub assemblies are painted separately how do you guys then glue them together since plastic type cement won't penetrate the paint right? Thanks for any help or direction. Pat
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
As for gluing parts together after they have been painted, some glues will eat through some paints, but the bond may not be as strong. You can use superglue to attached painted parts to each other if you think styrene glue won't hold, or you can scrape the paint off of the surfaces to be joined together.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
I would build it into sub-assemblies such as the cab, the chassis, and the bed. As Tamiya normally has quite good locator pins and holes for the assembly I would add a dab of Maskol or similar where needed and then paint, or just paint the sub-assemblies and remove the paint from the locators. The trick is to attach as much as possible while still being able to paint cleanly.
Belg1960
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks so much guys, will get started today after reading FAQ 1 to see which way I want to paint this thing. Pat
 _GOTOTOP