_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
An oldie but a goodie. Airfix M3 Lee in 1/32
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC

I have been rebuilding my Airfix collection after i lost it in the divorce. For those of you who arnt aware, Airfic produced 6 great 1/32 scale kits back in the 70's??? They were the Lee, Grant, Crusader, 17 pounder, rommels half track, and montys humber. Its been a slog but i now have all the kits (thanks ebay)

SO i started with the Lee. Its a great kit, fit is good, great in a few places, and just a few small fit issues. I decided to build it OOB, with the only thing i have added was using Mr. Surfacer on the transmission cover and the turret to add a little texture.

I have painted it, and am slowly starting the weathering porcess. Im old school so i am using washes and dry brushing to finish it. However i will use some filters and weathering pigmants to add some detail and depth.

I read some books on the Lee and the tracks provide were for the Grant version of the tank. SO i went into my stash and pulled out a 1/32 scale monogram Grant and tried the tracks, they fit perfectly. So i will add those on later.

Now it is all tools being painted, and then more weathering. I'm thinking of doing a base for this badboy, since i think that will set it off well.

Oh well, i was bored and just wanted to share something really different. The best part of the kit was the "made in england" tag inside the box. LOL LOL LOL

Enjoy.

BIll
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
Nice one- I had this in my stash when I was younger but never built it- don't know what became of it. Good job you're doing on it- well done.

Now that Airfix are making somewhat of a comeback I wonder will they rerelease these kits?
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 01:03 PM UTC
Nice build there I remember doing Rommel's HT as a kid and their figure sets. Now I'm into 1/48 and so is Airfix. Fun being a kid again lol
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:48 PM UTC
Tools getting done.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
 _GOTOTOP