_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Guntrucks info
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I am looking for some information about the guntrucks used in Vietnam. Besides pictures I would like to know more about how and why they were used. Also I am wondering what their role was in convoys for example.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
As a starting point, you can have a look at T.J.Kutta's book "Guntrucks in action" published by Squadron/Signal. A Google search would be useful too as there are several sites dealing with this subject (such as www.guntrucks.com for instance). But beware : you can become really addicted to this subject !

Frenchy
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Howdy MMB,

Just hang on a wee bit, and I'm pretty sure our resident GunTruck experts ( Gunnie & animal) will be with you shortly..........................

Tread.

P.S. You'll find their input priceless.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hello Marc. The gun trucks were built and crewed by personnel of the Transportaion MOS. Each truck was built by the crews. In the early years of the war(1965-1967) our convoys were taking a heavy toll on equipment and supplies, plus the loss of lives. The MP"s could not give all the convoys the protection they needed and the enemy was haveing a field day with us. If you go to this web site it will give you the mission objective and explain the "harded convoy" concept that was adopted and used in Vietnam. http://www.eustis.army.mil/DPTMSEC/museum.htm also you can go to this site and talk to other crew members that actually served on these trucks. http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw
 _GOTOTOP