Hosted by Darren Baker
M934 Expando Van (DSESTS Truck) 1/35
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hello all newbie here. I've been back into modeling for about a year now and have now decided to build my old truck from my Army days. Looking back I wished I had taken more pictures back then. Most of the pictures I have that my truck was in it was just in the back ground. So all I really have is bits and pieces of it. I have picked up the Italeri M925 shelter truck, Real Model m934/935 conversion set and tire set, CMK M939 engine set and interior set. I plan on displaying the truck with the box open and the rear doors open. That's where I could use some help. Does anyone out there have pics of a DSESTS truck Interior. Google hasn't been much help and I have sent emails to old Army buddies but most of them didn't take many pic's either. I'll probably end up building everything from memory, it is amazing how much comes back when I start thinking about it. I'm going to build this as a diorama of a time when we were supporting one of the Armor units at gunnery. Probably have it hooked up to a generator and have it lit up on the inside. I'll have Chief visiting us in his Hum-V. I figure i'll have to extend the wheel base of the Italeri 5 ton kit. Not sure how the Real Model kit goes together but i'm sure cutting will be involved along with lots of scratched building. I'm looking forward to this build and any pictures or information that anybody has on this truck would be a huge help.

Thanks
Mark
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 01:36 PM UTC
I looked through my pics from Ft. Hood, and all my trucks were also too far away. Have you tried the site www.primeportal.net ? They have tons of walk-arounds

also, have a look through this site..www.tpub.com they have all manuals and tech info.

Hope it helps! Jeff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 02:04 PM UTC
I had a 'Spando Van back in the mid-80's. They are on the extended chassis. The Ity kit is a good start, but will need to be streched. Other than plugs and whatnot, the interiors standard, until the "owners" started to modify. Our 'Spando, HHB33 (?) had a complete "custom" interior set up; myself, the DivArty Ops SGM, and a couple others built a full "desk" system for the inside with a manual case that acted as a "front counter" for visitors...had a place built in for the 30-cup coffee maker.

I'll be following along....should be interesting.

Mike
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
The cab of my truck was pretty standard green green and more green. About the only thing custom on the cab would be the caved in top from us jumping off the top of the box onto it. I'm still thinking about how to simulate that. And yes Jeff I did check out prime portal, they have pics of a few expando's. I'm am pretty confident that I can build the Truck and have it be pretty accurate. I really want to have a detailed interior in the rear box. I know it basically had a shelving unit that ran down the middle of the truck. A blue Christie power supply sat at the end in front of the doors. the DSESTS mounted in the shelf on the right. Another smaller power supply mounted above it to the right. When we went to the field or gunnery we took the microwave and the 13in tv and super Nintendo. Having an MOS that required Air condition and power was pretty cool. The tankers would always have a look of What the heck!? when they came on our truck. I'll keep digging for pics while everything comes in the mail.

Mark
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 07:18 PM UTC
Here the M934 transport guidance TM page :
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

About the only thing custom on the cab would be the caved in top from us jumping off the top of the box onto it. I'm still thinking about how to simulate that.

The caved in cab roof is easy to do. The Italeri M925 has a hardtop roof for the cab in the box. All you have to do is heat it a bit over a flame and then deform the roof. Once it cools, it will hold the deformed shape.

This sounds like a good project. I will be following it since I spend a lot of time in Expando Vans on DIVARTY and DIV staffs. Gotta love the staff Winebago.
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This sounds like a good project. I will be following it since I spend a lot of time in Expando Vans on DIVARTY and DIV staffs. Gotta love the staff Winebago.

Hey heavy arty thanks for the tip on the roof. If next time your in the back of a expando and want to snap some pics of the interior Walls and ceiling it would be a big help. Also what color does the Black out lights light up in side the box. I can't remember if it is red or blueish.
Mark
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC
From my memory, I have seen both blue and red blackout lights. I haven't been inside one in a while. They are pretty much gone from service now. Not many units use the FMTV expandos either.

Here at 3ID, on the rare occasion we don't occupy a hard site, we have a blow-up tent system that we use now. It all rolls up onto 5 ton FMTVs and trailers.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 09:44 PM UTC
I wonder if features of the older M820 expensible van truck could be found on the M934....If so, doing an image search on tpub.com should yield some useable TM drawings

similar search for M934

HTH

Frenchy
Removed by original poster on 02/08/12 - 09:58:32 (GMT).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC
Another option : as the M934 is basically a M939 Series Truck combined with a M313 Expansible Semi-trailer, maybe the TM for this semi-trailer would be worth a look...

http://imfmotorpool.com/027172

HTH

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP