Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Tiger l
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
I just picked up Dragon 'Tiger l 1+1' kit, although I think it's been around for a while. The Tiger is probably the same as the previously released mid production with zim and some nice P/E. The '+1' refers to a very nicely detailed Kubelwagen which seems to be properly to scale, unlike the Jeep . How did they get that wrong . What's even more interesting is in the 'not for use' parts on the Kubelwagen sprue, namely, 2 motorcycle seats, a front fork (and rear knife ), motorcycle handlebars, and a couple of motorcycle exhausts. Wonder what they could be for .
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
I take it that what you have is kit #7434 as the points you make about the additional parts are indeed present in the review sample that I just received. The Tiger itself is the same as that in kit #7251, even the instructions for building it are the old style coloured pictographs from days of yore while the Kubel's are the now standard exploded view line drawings. I'll be doing a review of this kit in the near future and we'll see if the problem with the rear idler that exists on several other Tiger I's is still an issue.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
I missed something somewhere. What was/is the issue with the Tiger idler?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I missed something somewhere. What was/is the issue with the Tiger idler?

There are a few threads here discussing the issue but I haven't been able to find them. Braille had a very good thread about the problem with images of a correction strategy. However, IIRC, on several Dragon Tiger I's it was found that the shaft/axle is too long and had to be cut down. Also, the inner wheel portion of the idler is too thick to allow the track guide horns to sit properly. here's some pictures from my build.

After a lot of sanding of the inner disk and trimming the shaft, it still sat too high.

I just had a look at the #7434 sprues and it is obvious that they use a different assembly process. Where my previous one had multi-piece road-wheels, idlers and sprockets, this kit has a bag of separate one piece chassis components (ie-not inner and outer sections to glue together). I also noticed that there is more flash on some of these parts, suggesting that it's an older mould.
 _GOTOTOP