Hosted by Darren Baker
Vietnam Vehicle Stowage (dimensions)
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
I could just order some stowage for some of my Nam vehicles I'm making, but I got some balsa wood and just wanna make a few crates to put on there. I got a M48 Patton tank, a Mule, and I'm currently building an Academy M113 and thought about making some crates and other stowage to put on these. Ok, here's the question. About what dimensions in 1:35 scale would crates be in Vietnam? Any sites or pictures that might help would be appreciated. Would some of the stuff be just made from scratch to hold whatever they might want? Also, how would sandbags be placed on these vehicles? I know the M113's use to carry sandbags frequently, but in what configuration? Were they usually just in the inside, on top where most of the soldiers rode, or both, and how much would they put? What about them on the Patton? I'm guessing they didn't put that many on the outside because they'd probably get wet and weigh the vehicle down. I’ve heard this happening to gun trucks that used sandbags for protection, but would it be a problem for tracked vehicles?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Crate sizes will vary based on the Ammo (or whatever) in them. I'll measure a few I have in 1/35 scale tonight.

An 81mm mortar crate in full size is: 30" long 6" high 14" wide....
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Howdy bracomadar,
My dad served on an M48 in Vietnam, but they didnt use sand bags on the tank, basically they would just be dragged off as they drove through the jungle. They did mount track blocks on the turret and at night they set up a fence around the tank to deflect RPGs. I'll ask him if he knows of any other tanks with sandbags. I am also in the process of scanning all the pictures he took over there....maybe some can help..

Sean
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the help so far guys. Hey Matt, do you have any pics of those crates from the bottom and sides, where the rope handles are?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
I've got a smaller crate ate home.... i'll try to get a pic of it tonight...... that are all the same style for the most part.......
 _GOTOTOP